Skip navigation
drpelican
Currently Being Moderated

loading metadata via iptc core using Bridge

Aug 26, 2013 9:46 AM

Tags: #photoshop_cs5 #metadata_loading

I've noticed that after loading metadata into photos opened in PS (cs5) that when checking the "file info" for that photo, the metadata isn't showing up. Wonder what I should do differently?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to drpelican

what metadata are you working with?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 26, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to Curt Y

what metadata are you working with?

And in addition to this, what do you mean with loading? normally you select one or more files you want to add IPTC to the metadata panel IPTC Core section and when done be sure to apply the data and let Bridge finish saving it to the files.

In PS be sure to select the correct fields in the File Info.

And do you have read and write permissions to alter the files?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to drpelican

If not using the File Info in Bridge to add these fields where are you adding them?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 27, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to drpelican

Does checking the "apply" check mark actually SAVE the photo with the newly applied metadata?

It took me a while to understand your workflow but you seem to use the metadata workspace and with apply you mean the tiny green checkmark icon bottom right in the metadata panel, which is not the same as a template btw, you can create a template with basic info using the little menu icon top right in the metadata panel. Changing this template every time would not be needed if you use the panel itself on multiple selected files.

You can either choose to add the template upon import using Photodownloader or select the files and choose add template from the same drop down menu top right of the panel.

Then you can use the fields in the panel itself to add extra data (besides the basic copyright info e.g added with the template) for the selected files in one go or select a given number that needs other info.

I never used it that way before but yes, when having filled all the wanted fields with your custom data you can indeed use the green checkmark and this should save the info to the files that are selected.

You have to have read and write permissions and the files shouldn't be locked.

But instead of the tiny icon in the metadata workspace (to my opinion a next to useless default workspace that can't be altered the way it should be possible) I always use my custom workspace (large preview, large content panel with larger thumbs, a column with folders, filter collections and favorites and a metadata panel with IPTC core in view) and after having filled the lines I want I hit the enter key to save the changes.

As said, only the selected files are saved with the data and you have to wait for the activity bar (bottom left) to finish the job before starting a new one because sometimes this causes half of the the files not being saved with the correct and complete info.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points