Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keyboard Shortcut for Ying Yang Symbol

Aug 26, 2013 11:07 AM

Tags: #shortcuts

Does anybody know this Shortcut for "Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer", Same as Ying Yang, Black and White Cookie?  I know I can go to EDIT > Characters and find it there but I'd love to be able to just type it.

Also the Checkmark or the Checked Box???

Many thanks,


I use PS CS6 on a Mac

  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to MJG

    Just look up this thread and copy it from here from now on: 


    You might have more luck looking it up with its more appropriately spelled name:  Yin and Yang symbol


    It's decimal code 9775 if that helps.



    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to MJG

    Hi MJ,


    Try this one... From one mac to another



    This page has some more info on how to create this symbol using other means and OSs, but the MacOS instructions are minimal:




    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to MJG

    Here's an excellent video tutorial on Unicode keyboard input on a Mac that all Mac users might be interested in. This should do it for you.



    Option 262f is the Unicode for Yin-Yang  Choose Apple Symbols from the font list in Photoshop first. Some fonts don't support this.



    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to MJG

    I did a google search for the Yin and Yang symbol for Apple keyboards, found the page I linked above with the character already typed out in the header, copied it and pasted into a text editor that stripped other formatting and saw that it was still the yin and yang character.


    So, I just copied and pasted into the thread here, and bumped up the font size.


    The video that Gene links to does give another way to do this without the need for copy/paste. Thanks Gene!


    With that method, Enable Unicode Hex Input from System Preferences > Language&Text > Input Sources tab.

    Check show input menu in menu bar

    Switch to Unicode Hex Input


    Hold Option and press 262f -- ☯




    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

    You're welcome, Pete   I knew the Mac had a way to keyboard-input symbols and I just had to find out.

    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to gener7

    Haha... You're a better man than I, Gene. I looked in a few places and didn't see where I could use a keystroke. I even tried Option + every key, and Shift + option + every key to see if I'd get the correct wing-ding. Nope. Dead-end.


    Also I'm used to the Windows side of alt + numpad, but never knew how to get there (or similar) on Mac. Thanks for that resource!



    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points