Skip navigation
dahoovy
Currently Being Moderated

Change the location of the Adobe Revel Library

Aug 26, 2013 4:16 PM

Will an update unlock the default setting of storing original photos in the //pictures/adobe revel/adobe revel library setting?  I store all of my originals on an external backup drive and do not want to use resources from the internal hard drive for the storage location for revel's depository.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to dahoovy

Currently there is no opition to change the default location where we auto save the photos to your mac hard drive if it is configured. You could disable autosave and do a manual copy to an external hard drive but that is the only way I can think of to do it.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Just adding a +1 request to this feature, is there any more movement on this?

I love everything about Revel so far but this single giant issue is keeping me from making the switch completely. My 128GB Macbook Air hard drive just isn't built for photo library storage.

This isn't one of those tricky unsolved engineering problems. iTunes does it. iPhoto does it. Loom (http://loom.com, currently your biggest competitor for my attention) does it.

Please reconsider your stance on this. It's a pretty clear cut must have feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to ben smithett

Ben-

Thanks for you feedback here. I am unable to comment on future release dates or content but I can ensure you that your feedbackwill be seen by the Revel team.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to dahoovy

i have found a workaround for Revel's inflexibility, but it does take some reengineering of your file system. Mount your data drive as "/Users". This will mask the separate physical drive from the system. Revel launches fine, and now i can keep my libraries off the SSD system disk.

here is a description of the process:

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/moving-os-x-users-to-separate-part ition.html

To the Revel team: why on earth does Revel not work with relocated user folders? Sym links don't even work. Many of the users will have massive photo/video libraries they do not want on the system drive. What was the reasoning behind this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Charlie.D
    190 posts
    Jun 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to mickey_p

Hi Mickey

I have brought up the issue with our new product manager.  It's something I have personally wanted a long time myself.  As far as why we've not yet addressed this, I have no good answer other than to say it's been a matter of priorties and limited resources.  While that may sounds like a boilerplate response, let me assure your this enhancement is on our radar.  Like Pattie, I simply cannot comment on when the enhancement may go live.

The work-around you describe is not something we recommend.  I'm curious -- does the work-around you describe cause any negative side effects? Do any other apps which might rely on your secondary drive experience trouble with your setup? 

Thanks,

Charlie

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2014 2:21 PM   in reply to Charlie.D

Hi Charlie,

I have not identified any negative side effects. This method is more common in UNIX environments, and keeps large user directories separated from the OS, good for both data backups and system updates/restores. I have used sym links in the past to get around apps epecting particular locations. It is my understanding that mounting the other drive at /Users should be more robust, ie in general the system should not notice. I'll post back if i encounter any issues.

Also, this workaround was not just to address the Revel issue, but a more seamless way to keep my user data (photos, vids, digital audio projects) off my small SSD.

Mickey

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points