Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Collections: actual files or links/aliases?

Aug 26, 2013 4:13 PM

I have not used the Collections feature until now. I dragged some images from a folder into a new Bridge Collection from the FINDER, and I think the high res files might have actually been COPIED into the collection. I'm gussing that if I drag files to a collection from WITHIN BRIDGE, that the collection just has an alias or link to the actual file which resides in another folder. Is there a difference if I copy files from the finder? I hope this is clear.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to FauxtoGuy

Yes, a collection, and smart collection is just a link to actual photo.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 1:06 AM   in reply to FauxtoGuy

I'm gussing that if I drag files to a collection from WITHIN BRIDGE, that the collection just has an alias or link to the actual file which resides in another folder. Is there a difference if I copy files from the finder?

To clarify a bit more on Curts post, yes, there is a big difference between using Finder and using a collection. Finder moves or copies the files itself, a collection makes an alias of the file but leaves its original in the same folder.

You can select a bunch of files in Bridge and create a collection. Then you can drag other files to it. But be aware! while the collections contains only aliases and not originals you should only use the 'remove from collection' button at top of the content window. For some unknown and very odd reason using the delete button on the thumbnail removes it not only from the collection but puts also the original in the trash.

If you keep this in mind you can use collections to your own benefit.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points