Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to trim vectors to artboard dimensions

Aug 26, 2013 8:53 PM

Hello!

I have a multi layer doc. Many of the vectors peek out of the artboards dimensions. I need a clean trim to the exact dimensions. I was playing with the shapefinder but did not get the results I wanted.  What is the best way to trim off any vectors outside the artboard.

Thanks

Maxi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to Picturequest

Nobody would usually bother, since when this is converted to a PDF or an image it becomes irrelevant and the artboard boundaries become your page bounds. Otherwise the simplest option would be to apply a clipping mask to everything short of pathfindering every object in the artwork... But again: Unless "clean" edges are required for some specific production process, one wouldn't bother.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Picturequest

This is not very precise, but might be what you need.

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 10.50.37 AM.png

here my objects come off the page. Use the eraser tool and hold Option/alt It will marquee over everything and delete a rectangle. Just make the rectangle go to the edge of your artboard.

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 10.56.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 10.50.55 AM.png

As I said, this isn't very presice, but it does exactly what you are asking for if I understand properly. A clipping mask that is the same size as the artboard will also work in most cases, but the vectors are still actually there. This kills them dead.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to Picturequest

> "I was playing with the shapefinder but did not get the results I wanted."

What exactly did you do when playing with the Shape Builder tool? What was wrong about the results?

Can you provide a sample .ai file?

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to Picturequest

Now we may be talking about different things.

I thought you were using the Shape Builder tool. Probably you are using the Pathfinder panel instead, but I'm not sure. You call it the Shapefinder although a shapefinder does not exist in Illustrator, at least not something that is called like that.

Telling which AI version you are using and providing a sample .ai file may still help to clarify.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to Picturequest

the video "shows" what elDudereno said and illustrated in post # 2

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers