Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feature Request: Project Manager Trim Compatibility with all formats please!

Aug 26, 2013 9:48 PM

Tags: #problem #adobe #mac #feature_request #h.264 #compatibility #trim #project_manager #premiere_pro_cc

It's 2013, Premiere Pro CC is out, and is more "Final Cut Pro" than ever (thanks Adobe), but there are still some basic things that need to be fixed. This is a DOOZY!...

With DSLR media being used pretty much everywhere, the inability to created trimmed projects using Project Manager for H.264 clips (and GoPro clips, and more!) is simply insane. Seriously?

Help me Adobe.... please...

thanks

jesse

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 10:47 PM   in reply to JesseSchluntz

Hi Jesse,

If I recall correctly, in FCP, I had to transcode the DSLR footage using Log and Transfer to create new video files in ProRes, an intraframe codec. Video using an intraframe codec could then be Media Managed, or "trimmed." In order to trim Long GOP based footage in Premiere Pro, you must also transcode it. I like to transcode footage in Prelude.

You can make a feature request for managing projects containing Long GOP footage: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 10:48 PM   in reply to JesseSchluntz

I agree with Jesse.

This goes along with the fact that Prelude has to transcode to make subclips instead of just slicing up an existing file. I know that long GOP is a hassle, but it should still be possible by backing up the beginning to the previous full frame and moving out to the next full frame at the end.

If we could ingest clips that way, and use Project Manager to trim projects that way, it would be a lot neater.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 10:54 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven,

I agree too. It would be awesome to have the ability to media manage Long GOP footage. However, you also pointed out it's shortcoming and the reason why it's not ideal. It's not very accurate because of the very nature of the codec.

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 11:04 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Well, Kevin, I am a bit of a selfish guy at times so if you wanted to start with my all I-Frame footage just for practice, it would be OK with me.

But seriously, the solution for both Prelude and Premiere Pro is to just add between 1 and 2 seconds of handles. People ought to have handles anyway, right?

That would certainly take care of the archiving issues of Project Manager, and as long as we all know that the subclips would have handles, even my all I-Frame footage, we could deal with that. The all I-Frame would get one second on each end  and the long GOP would get one second plus whatever it took to get to the begining or end of a group.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to JesseSchluntz

Actually, Kevin works right across the San Francisco Bay from where I live. So yes, he is here in the USA.

You will occasionally get some answers around here from people with Indian names, but we are happy to have them on the forums.

The conversation about how to deal with the various codecs has been going on for some time, and the more people who request the feature, the more likely they will get it done. I don't like to say that the squeeky wheel gets the grease, but pretty much? It does!

I know they are thinking about it because of some of the comments I have seen and emails I have received. It appears to be fairly complicated, but personally, I think it is well worth the effort.

I would like to be able to ingest subclips from Prelude without transcoding (I don't use Prelude because it is useless to me without this feature). Once ingested, if I only use part of a clip, I want it trimmed in the Project Manager to just the footage I might need in the future if I have to make minor adjustments. And yes, that includes handles. So if handles solve part of the problem, that's fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points