Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make some pages in a PDF display in single-page view and others in two-page (facing) view?

Aug 26, 2013 9:39 PM

Tags: #save #size #layout #print #booklet #facing_pages #back_cover #single_page_view #different_views #cover_page #front_cover

Exactly as it says on the tin. I am looking to save a PDF magazine/book layout in such a way so that when opened, only the front and back covers open to the viewer in single-page mode, and the rest of the pages in two-page facing mode, without re-printing the in-between pages in booklet format  and re-inserting them into a new PDF (with the front and back covers left separate and untouched, and included as single portrait-orientation pages). This is so that individual pages can still be printed (on a physical printer, not a "virtual" one like a PDF driver), as-is without having the page next to it included, or the printouts always requiring landscape orientation (resulting with two "pages" from the PDF showing up on one sheet of paper).

So when the PDF is opened, I want just the front and back cover to be auto-viewed by themselves, and the content (the "meat" of the document) viewed side-by-side, as though one were actually reading a "book" -- but without actually re-doing the content pages to be "fused" side-by-side. Thus creating the "illusion" that they are, in fact, in booklet form. Is this possible, to have different page-display settings for different pages/page ranges in a single PDF? If so, how is this done? If not, what would be my best course of action otherwise to achieve this "virtual" book layout, while still retaining the "physical" structure of the document and allowing individual pages to be printed by themselves rather than "fused" together?

Using Acrobat X Pro on Windows 7 Pro SP1.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to CreativeSweetX

The best you can do practicably is the 'two up with cover page' view mode. The first page will appear singly but not centered, and to get the last page to behave it would have to be a folio sheet.

It's theoretically possible to use JavaScript to reset the view mode as each page is changed, but it makes for a nightmare of usability (what if someone on a smaller display wants to use 'fit to width'? Not an option if JS keeps overruling it). Anything involving JS won't work on non-Adobe software or mobile devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

If you use an initial view setting with Two-Up (Cover Page), then on the last page you could set the Page Properties to execute the Page Display to Single Page View.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to CreativeSweetX

File > Properties > Initial View.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to CreativeSweetX

I've never used but I think you want to first select Page Thumbnails in the left Navigation Pane. Select the page you want to change, the choose Page Properties from the Options menu. In the Page Properties dialog click Actions. Select Trigger: Page Open. Select Action: Go to a Page View. Click Add. Change your view of the page to the way you like and click Set Link.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I was thinking you could select” Execute a menu item” from the Select Action dropdown and click Add. Then in the Menu Item dialog choose View > Page Display > Single Page View for your last page.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to CreativeSweetX

Something not mentioned yet.  Impose two pages on to one large page size and put a split in between the page material.  It will give the effect and still have the view.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to CreativeSweetX

Do you know if you can set these page options with Acrobat Standard, or do you need to have the Professional Version?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to CurCun

You should be able to do this using the Standard version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points