Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Spreadsheet for data merge

Aug 26, 2013 8:54 PM

I have figured out my first data merge document thanks to an old podcast done by michael murphey.  I got everything to work right and the document populated perfectly.  My question is if there is any more effecient way to input the path into the cells where the picture I want to use goes.  Is this something that I really have to type in manually or is there a way to select all the pictures after they are all in a specific folder and then paste those file paths.  It is quite a headache to do.....my job is fairly small...I can't imagine doing a directory that would include hundreds of records and manually inputting all that information.  Thanks for all your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2013 10:34 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

There are a couple ways I have done it. Most all the time I simply use the DOS dir command (obvioulsy Windows, I suppose Mac has the same facility).

Once I have changed to the proper directory (or know the path otherwise),

dir /b /on > dir.txt

Will produce a text file formatted thus:

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

004a.jpg

005.JPG

005a.jpg

006.JPG

The "/on" switch is to sort by name.

I then simply copy or type in the path in my text editor's find/replace dialog, search for the end of paragraph marker, replace that marker with another paragraph marker followed with the path. Hit change all, and I end up with this:

C:\Users\Mike\Pictures\2011-04-04\001.JPG

C:\Users\Mike\Pictures\2011-04-04\002.JPG

C:\Users\Mike\Pictures\2011-04-04\003.JPG

C:\Users\Mike\Pictures\2011-04-04\004.JPG

C:\Users\Mike\Pictures\2011-04-04\004a.jpg

C:\Users\Mike\Pictures\2011-04-04\005.JPG

Or that part can be done in Excel as well. Then I copy the text file to the clipboard, paste it into the proper column.

There is another way, and that is to use some code in Excel that opens a dialog and builds a sheet. I have never altered the code, but I got it from here:

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/automatic-listing-path-of-pictures-in- cell-for-merging-data-in-indesign

Pulls in more info than I want. Might alter it one day, but the dir command is pretty fast.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to MW Design

Hello,

On the Mac you could use Terminal and pwd command and copy / paste the result. Present Working Directory.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Pickory

Easiest way I know is a script by Loic Aigon called imagestocsv.jsx - can be found on this indesignsecrets.com post: http://indesignsecrets.com/import-folder-full-pictures-page.php - just run the script and navigate to the folder that contains the pictures - voila, a text file that contains texts fields of the filename both as text and link location.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points