Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Which PDF Optimizer options are necessary to preserve hyperlinks?

Aug 27, 2013 7:00 AM

In Acrobat Pro X, there isn't any one option under Save As > Optimised PDF that mentions hyperlinks. I know from past experience that some options, if ticked, will remove hyperlinks from the PDF (I think "discard document tags" was one such option, if I remember right).

Can anyone provide a clear list of the options that will remove live hyperlinks from a PDF - i.e. those options which must be unticked if you want the optimised PDF to contain clickable links?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to alanomaly

It seems there is a long standing bug that flattening transparency does this. (But only if it actually has transparency to flatten). Flattening is mandatory to save as PDF 1.3.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to alanomaly

Some software will use named destinations to implement their hyperlinks, so that can be relevant. Others will use JavaScript. Others will use neither. So the type of hyperlink is relevant.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 3:53 AM   in reply to alanomaly

Yes, absolutely. Hyperlinks are implemented in different ways. You can look at them in Acrobat to find how they are done. And InDesign is likely to vary what it does. So, if there is a JavaScript hyperlink, and you remove JavaScript you are demanding that the link be broken. Many links will use form features so that option is relevant. What you see as a hyperlink could readily actually be a fill-in form!

You need to understand your links to get anywhere with this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points