Skip navigation
chopshopstore
Currently Being Moderated

AI Just Crashes Too Much

Aug 27, 2013 9:47 AM

Tags: #illustrator #crashing #text_boxes #editing_points

This used to be the most stable app out there. Now I find that AI crashes about 2-3 times a day, especially if I am working on a complex illustration. Editing points can be unstable… text boxes become corrupted and need to be re-built, I KNOW that editing a pre-existing filter involving glows crashes it 1/5 times. So much so that I have an automatic knee-jerk impusle to hit save before doing some things.

I send crash reports on these often and nothing ever changes.

I just lost another 1.5 of work and it isn’t just the time… I just don’t want to do that work again.

It is depressing and I am losing my love for an application that I once 100% loved. I fear too much old code and too many needless features have been added to make the application unstable.

I am not sure what to do but rant. I have to move over to CC and perhaps that will be a better build? Not sure… this has only gotten worse over one version to the next.

—Sad Face

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to chopshopstore

Illustrator runs for me about as stable as any version, but sympathize with your pain. Hate to bring bad news for you, but it appears the CC version has had lots of posts here on the forums, especially with getting the software running the first time and registration completed.

I crash or freeze up possibly 1-2 times a month, so hope you can get yours running to that point. Some things that may help you:

• update to the latest version of cS6 16.04 mac & pc also i believe
    • try to build your glows and drop shadows into your photoshop image, if you have many raster effects change your doc raster effects settings to 72 dpi temporally
    • save your files with pdf compatible off
    • if you run actions, turn down the speed of them in the playback options to pause for 1 second. This setting is annoying as it will not save itself if you restart Illustrator, and if you forget to fix this good chance you will crash on actions that involve something like saving the file, printing, saving a .pdf to the desktop and closing.
    • don't have too many fonts open, can reset you font cache with somehting liek fontnuke
    • link to images rather than embed
    • update any third party plugs in (eg: font management, esko)
    • post on these forums with detailed descriptions of crashes, especially ones you can replicate or are reoccurring

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points