Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pen Tool for Multiple Separate Lines

Aug 27, 2013 10:14 AM

I am trying to use the pen tool to develop a rail road switchyard layout.  It is a main line with multiple lines coming off of it.  How do you make the settings so it does not expect you to close the path?  I want the mainline to be one path, and each switch line to be a separate path.  Then I can stroke each path.  Can't figure out how to end the path and start a new one as it wants to make it all one continuous path. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Curt Y

On Windows, you just hit the esc key, which deselects the path, so you can start a new one.  I've heard that deletes things on a Mac.

Sounds like fun!  I used to make model train layouts, but back then I was using a compass and straight edge - time are different!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to csuebele

Just another thought, if you're using standard curves, I would make a layer that you could cut and paste the curve radius in rather than drawing it each time.  Same with switch tracks, ect.  Just have a library of track shapes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 27, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Do you want all these lines on the same Work Path?  If so, all I do is click off the work path and then back on it, and the Pen tool starts a new line on the same Work Path.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 27, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt, I have the Paths panel permently open on my second monitor.  I lay down a line using the pen tool, and click inside the paths panel off the work path, and then back on the work path.  I can then layer down another line with a new start point, but on the same work path.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Easiest thing to do when you want to stop drawing a path is to hold command (ctrl on windows?) to temporarily switch to the "direct selection tool" (a white arrow) and click anywhere in your document. That stops the drawing, then you can release command to get your pen tool back and start drawing a new path.

Note, if you have just a "work path" be careful about clicking off of it, (deselecting it) and trying to draw a new path without REselecting the "work path" because your new paths will basically overwrite all the existing work in the "work path." It's good practice to immediately double-click the work path and give it a name so that you don't accidentally do that and lose all the paths you've been working so hard on.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points