Skip navigation
mrcolj3
Currently Being Moderated

How do I control the page numbers that display IN THE TOOLBAR display?

Aug 27, 2013 10:12 AM

Tags: #display #numbering #navigating

In my documents, I have a cover page and some intro pages, then the page numbering starts at p6 or p8.  Rather than doing the math to subtract 6 or 8 pages to find where I want to go, I'd like to have the setup I always see in professional PDFs--of having the top toolbar display "i-viii, 1-500," or the like, so when I type 300 there it'll go to my document's page 300, not 292.  Does that make sense?  Again I see it all the time, when i'm trying to print something, and for my print range I have to put i-25, because the first page isn't 1.

FWIW, I'm using Acrobat Pro 8 on a Mac, but also own Acrobat Pro X and Pro CS4 for Win.

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to mrcolj3

This is for Windows, Acrobat XI:

1. In the Navigation Pane, select the Page Thumbnails (View - Show/Hide - Navigation Panes - Page Thumbnails).
    2. In the Page Thumbnails pane, click on the first page and then press the CTRL key (or the SHIFT key to select the first and last pages) to highlight the pages (for example, PDF pages 1-3 are actually i-iii).
    3. Right-click the highlighted/selected pages in the Page Thumbnails and select Number Pages…

In the Page Numbering dialog box in the Numbering section, select the number format under Style (for example, i, ii, iii …) and click OK.

To test it, I use CTRL+SHIFT+N and type a page number.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points