Skip navigation
genew308
Currently Being Moderated

Masked URL's in Word Documents

Aug 27, 2013 11:20 AM

Tags: #word #masked #url's

Hi Everyone,

I have been using Acrobat X and XI in the past few weeks to convert MS Word documents to PDF.  I am running into one problem for which I have yet to find a solution: If there are "masked" URL's in the Word documents Acrobat won't create working URL's for them.  For example: If I have a sentence that says Click Here behind which is the actual url such as "www.somewhere.com/documents/thisdoc.docx" then that "link" will not work in the finished PDF file.  But if I remove the mask so that the documents have the actual url visible then those url's will be active in the finished PDF.  The problem is that this just won't work for me as I am working with a vast library of Word docs which are being converted and posted on the web. 

Has anyone experienced this?  Perhaps it is something obvious that I am overlooking.  I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

Thank you

genew308

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to genew308

How are you converting to PDF, step by step, and are you on Mac or Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to genew308

Let us discuss a bit the various methods of PDF creation. In each case you will have to check the preferences that are selected for the conversion. The most fundamental mode is to open WORD and print a document to the Adobe PDF printer. This will not give links or bookmarks, but basically translates what you see in WORD to a PDF just as you would to a bit of paper. The links that you see are what Acrobat provides as a best guess based on the text that is shown, not an actual link in the PDF.

From WORD, you can use the create PDF option (this is called PDF Maker) and set the appropriate bookmark and link requests in the preferences. The last process from WORD is to use the MS plugin for conversion to PDF that generally will give you bookmarks and links also, but you would have to check that out. The operation of that plugin is not something I spend a lot of time looking at.

From Acrobat, you can select to open a DOC/DOCX file in Acrobat that basically goes through the conversion process. The preferences are found in the "to PDF" tab or Acrobat preferences. This should use the same process as PDF Maker and add the bookmarks/links to the PDF. I cannot comment on the Action Wizard.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

The reason the unmasked URL will work is because of the Acrobat preference under Edit > Preferences > General "Create links from URLs". To get the other ones to work (masked) when converting a Word file to PDF using either the Create dialog or an Action, you'll need to make sure that "Add links to PDF file" is checked under Edit > Preferences > Convert to PDF > Microsoft Office Word > Edit Settings.

links.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to genew308

I'm wondering if this is some sort of compatibility thing. The first version of Acrobat to support the PDFMaker Add-ons for Office 2013 was 11.0.01. Is this the version you're running? Also, do you have both Acrobat X and XI installed on the same Windows 8 system? Perhaps some sort of conflict is occuring with the PDFMaker add-ons.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to genew308

I would try updating to the latest point update, which is 11.0.04. You can do this through the Check for Updates command under the Help menu or from the Download center.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 2:24 PM   in reply to genew308

I read the line of questions asked by genew308 back in September and didn't see a resolution.  I am having the same problem with URLs not converting when creating a pdf from a Word document.  I am using the latest version of Adobe, 11.0.6 and Word 10. I have done all the things that were suggested to genew308 and still my hyperlinks are not working.  They appear blue, and when the mouse hovers over them the pointer appears but when I click on the link I get an error message that the file could not be opened.

Interestingly enough, when I create the file from within Adobe using “Create / PDF from file”, I am able to click on the link and have it work (sort of).  When I click on the link a pop-up asks me if I want to save my file before closing.  After my response the hyperlinked file opens but the file I just created closes.  When I reopen it, I get the same pop-up that the file could not open.

I am wondering if it could be because the file is on our intranet and not the www.  The hyperlink works in Word though. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points