Skip navigation
YWHWisGOD
Currently Being Moderated

Burning DVD's with an Imac

Aug 27, 2013 12:10 PM

Tags: #encore #burn_failure #burning_stops #encoding_fail

hey guys! I want to say first off that i very much appreciate any help or advice that anyone offers, as there is no reason except out of the pure goodness of your heart to give free consulting. 

Let's get it all out there in the open.

I am a wedding videographer and i own a 2011 iMac. I know. Ok . I know

I have been running into very troubling issues.

I have completed the project in premiere with three separate sequences (ceremony, reception, trailer).

I have brought those sequences into Adobe Encore to burn the actual content onto DVD.

Unfortunately my imac cannot handle the burn. It simply does not have the hardware capable of doing such a noble thing (although it claims it does).

I have been working for weeks now trying to just slip by a test burn, but again no matter what method i try i am at a loss.  I need to have it done asap and the way i look at it i have two options.

My roommate had a nice big 16gb ramm tower that i believe will be more than adequate to accomplish the said task.

I have an external hard drive of course. So here is first option and question.

1. i will export the media (3 separate sequences) to a mpeg2 file i guess. Bring it to my external hard drive (or EHD lol) and put it on his computer and then use either use his version of encore, or a different burning software (it has to be able to make menus tho). BUT

What should i export the media as? Mpeg2, mpeg2 DVD? nstc whatever? It was shot at 1080p 24fps in a canon dslr. It needs to be good quality of course.

and just incase encore in not available on his computer what burning software would use use? (and yes price is a problem). lol

Option 2.

Take the completed project that in on encore as of right now and just burn it to a DVD folder. Put it on the EHD and bring it to roomies comp and burn it with a dvd burning software. But when i make a folder it comes out as a video_ts file. Being a newb of course i do not know what that even means.

If you where me. What would you do?! 

Guys again, thank you so much for any help.

Big Hugs.

-tom 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to YWHWisGOD

Computer power should not be an issue. Transcoding/Exporting just takes time. Most of us don't like burning with Encore anyway.

Export from Premiere as MPEG2-DVD. Use Scale to Fill. Your main problem is setting a bitrate. What is the total length in minutes of all your movies? Any motion menus etc?

Build to folder is fine; but built to image may make the options simpler. Build to the external drive, and put on roomie's computer.

PC use ImgBurn; Mac use Toast.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to YWHWisGOD

Hi Tom,

Not a Mac guy, but from Encore, export as a Disc Image, which makes an .iso file that should be easily burned on any PC or Mac with freeware.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to YWHWisGOD

Again for Windows, I always create an ISO from Encore and use Imgburn to write that ISO to disc by double clicking on the ISO (my file association in Windows is that when I double click on an ISO, Imgburn opens) and Imgburn then reads the "inside" of the ISO and writes a DVD

>It went to a zipped up file

What you say and what you show are not the same... ZIP is zip, ISO is "sort of like" a zip file, but it is the special format of a video file

When you have Mac burning software (Toast?) it will know what to do with the ISO file, just like Imgburn knows on the Windows side of things

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points