Skip navigation
CRC Real Estate
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best way to start a flyer from scratch?

Aug 27, 2013 12:52 PM

What is the best way to start to make a flyer?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

Create a new blank document in the editor the size and resolution you want (file>new>blank file), then get out the graphics panel and the type tools and add what you like.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Another way to go about it is to download a free template from www.avery.com :

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Templates/Card s/Brochures-Door-Hangers-%26-Flyers/Tri_Fold-Brochure-Landscape_Micros oft-Word.htm?N=0&refchannel=c042fd03ab30a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

These templates open in MS WORD.

You can then insert suitable pictures that relate to you company, once they have been enhanced in PSE, add your logo, and type in the information.

If you don't have a logo, you can generate one (free) here:

http://cooltext.com/

There are several other sites for logos ---just google for them

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

I'm obviosly new so when I print out a sample the colors look terrible.  What resolution should I set it to that will make it look like a professional print?

The colors are false or the image is fuzzy?

If the former, you may need to calibrate your monitor. If the latter, try setting the resolution to 300 ppi.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

If you are doing these to print out, choose US Paper (or local equivalent) in the pulldown menu in the new file menu. The US letter preset should work for you:

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 5.19.42 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

Well, you need to explain a little more about how you're going about this. How large is the original and how much do you want to crop it and how large do you plan to print the crop, for example?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

Try either  increasing the ppi (Image>resize>image size, with Resample Image turned OFF), or using the Move tool to push it smaller.

However, screenshots are going to be low quality images no matter what you do.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

Elements always makes huge PDFs. Adobe wants to sell acrobat so the PDF making abilities of PSE are very restricted.

Which operating system are you using? On a mac you can apply quartz filters in Preview to reduce the file size, but the result will be cruddy and unprofessional looking.

I just took a look at a pdf from a local realtor's site here (5 pages, lots of photos, 1.6 mb) and the creator info shows:

R and OS php pdf writer, http://www.ros.co.nz

so that might be worth investigating.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 9:09 PM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

The link I gave you is not just for macs. I don't know many real estate offices that are able to use macs since the MLS was so mac-unfriendly for so many years.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

Hmm, that's odd. I would ask other colleagues in your area what they use. This is moving way outside being a PSE question.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to CRC Real Estate

I would go back to Barbara's original answer.

Start with a new blank project in the finished print size with 300 resolution.  Add graphics and text and photos.

Your problem lies with your source of material, i.e., maps, grahpics, logos, etc.

Save a file from whatever source you are using - it is helpful if it's a png for layering - and look at the pixel dimension. 

The rule of thumb for getting something to print well is 300 resolution.  You can determine if your pixel dimension is large enough to print well by dividing each side by 300. 

i.e., If you have a screenshot that is 300 x 600 pixels - and you divide that by 300 - you will get an excellent print of only one inch by two inches.

You can see that on a 8.5 x 11 (letter sized) flyer, a photo that is one inch by two inches is too small to be reasonably viewed - especially if it is a map.

It's all about the pixel size of your graphics and map.  Trying to upsize an item is usually futile.  Things can be upsized a bit, but the more you increase the size, the more it pixelates and the more detail you lose. 

The secret is starting with grapics that already have enough pixels to print well at 300 resolution.

As far as pdf's go -  that adds a whole other dimension to your creation.  Forget the pdf's.  Seek graphics from sources the provide large enough graphics that are usable.  Google what you need - alot of things are free but you may have to pay for high quality unique graphics.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points