Skip navigation
PlayingTheAngel00
Currently Being Moderated

PDF created in CS6 now produces a "Cannot Open File" error when I try to reopen it :(

Aug 27, 2013 1:38 PM

I created a file in Illustrator CS6 (v. 16.0.0), and saved it as an (editable) PDF. When I try to reopen that same PDF inside Illustrator CS6, however, I get a "Could Not Open The File" error. 

The file opens in Acrobat just fine, but I need to continue editing/working on it.  Opening it in 5.1 works but it's all flat and not ideal for editing.  Renaming the extension to .eps or .ai didn't work, either. I also looked into potential font conflicts (none) and restarted my Mac (OS 10.7.5) to no avail.

Thoughts/suggestions most welcome!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to PlayingTheAngel00

Illustrator is not designed to be a pdf editor, so save a .ai file backup always.

• A restart, as you did, of Illustrator or your mac will allow you to open the .pdf, or resetting your font cache with fontnuke.
    • Update to 16.04, and especially check if acrobat needs updating.
    • I have had and so have others problems with making .pdfs if you do not have a printer chosen, usually you get an error could not save .pdf but check you have a printer chosen in system preferences >> Print & Scan .

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points