Skip navigation
the_deuceII
Currently Being Moderated

Cursor Blinking WHILE Typing [Mac OS X]

Aug 27, 2013 1:05 PM

Tags: #problem #error #issue #adobe #view #code #cs6 #broken #cursor #horrible #ugly #typing #dreamweaver_cs6 #cursor_position #dreamweaver_cc

Call me critical of the developer, whatever.

Since downloading the 13.1 update this morning - August 27, 2013 a blatant "right-in-your-face" issue has come up.  In Dreamweaver CS6 the cursor freezes while typing in code view - which is perfect; however in Dreamweaver CC the cursor blinks or is "redrawn" with each key press.  I would call this a rather major issue because you now have to count how many times you're pressing a key in order to tell where the typing cursor is.  Blinking is normal for stationary cursors, however when typing in any screen it freezes and thus does not blink while typing in a command or text of any nature.  This is an issue in both Mac and Windows.  Here are my dual system specs -

Mac OS -

• Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2012 Model)
  • Mac OS X 10.8.4
  • Quad Core Intel i7
  • 8GB Ram (Factory installed)
  • 640GB Hard Disk @ 7200rpm (Factory Installed)

Mac - System Updated to rule that out - also restarted to rule that out; tried same scenario on 2 Windows Machines

Windows 1 -

• Windows 7 Professional
  • Foxconn Destroyer Motherboard
  • AMD Penom II X4 965 Black Edition
  • 16GB Corsair Dominator @ 1066MHz
  • 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (RAID1, @7200rpm)

Windows 1 up to date and no installs to update, thought the blinking issue might be tied to cold boot; restarted - same issue.

Windows 2 - Mac specs above with Bootcamp.  Up to date, no updates available and restarted twice to be certain.

I can say that I ruled out hardware and operating system issues for certain - as a couple coworkers are having the same issue.  Again, this was not an issue in CS6 (via Creative cloud) and thereby has been introduced (as far as I can tell) in Dreamweaver CC 13.1.

Does Adobe do any kind of testing before releasing a new patch product problem to the market?  There was the application bar issue that seemed to be remediated with the patch that was released today but the new release has created a new, god-awful in-your-face issue.

Guess it's back to CS6 for another who-knows how many weeks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to the_deuceII

Hi,

We could reproduce the issue at our end and we sincerely regret for the inconveniences caused. We will investigate the issue at our end.

Regards,

Janaki L

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 10:03 PM   in reply to Janaki Lakshmikanthan

@the_deucell .. Thank you for the very detailed description of the issue , The new tag highlighting feature seems to have introduced this anomaly in behavior

Sorry for the trouble, we will try to fix it ASAP. Please bear with this until then

Regret the inconvenience ,

Harish

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to vharis

Downloaded and updated today 8/30 - I am experiencing pretty much the same issue on my Windows machine.

Rather peeved I did not conduct my due diligence by scanning the forums beforehand, but that ship has sailed now.

Only seems to affect me on xml files over 50Kb in size though - go figure.

Win7 64bit,  32Gb RAM,  Xeon E3-1270 v2 @ 3.50GHz, 2 x 1 Tb HDD @ 10K

Loathe the prospect of rolling back or reinstalling, so I will be using Notepad++ for my XML work until then.

I do hope that ASAP is sooner rather than later.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to ATC116

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am also experienceing this issue:

Win 8 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 @ 3.30GHz, 120GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD

This is the kind of thing I would expect to see done as a prank. You know, like setting your co-worker's monitor to turn off every 5 minutes or inverting the controls on their mouse. It's an annoyance that you have to live with every time you need to arrow through your code. PLEASE fix this ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to ReYrD

A month later this is still an issue! i posted about it on Facebook as many others did, but that was a month ago now, can we can an ETA on what i would imagine is a simple fix?

Because as simple as the fix may be, it's making coding our end very very difficult and frustrating.

Update: if there isn't a fix in the near future is there a work around??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to the_deuceII

Same problem here!

Editing in code view is completely screwed...

While typing the cursor keeps blinking.

Using control + arrow left/right to skip a word is not working anymore (cursor jumps to the end/beginning of the line)

Shift/control + arrow to select previous/next word is not working anymore...

Help help help, this is a serious bug and makes the code edit (view) unusable.

Please get back to use

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to justblackcoffee

The blinking is a known issue.

The Ctrl + Arrows selection was switched to Alt + Arrows for some weird reason.

Make sure to file an official bug report here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Ah, thanks Jon, didn't know about the change to the Alt key.

This makes it more workable.

Will file a report!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to justblackcoffee

While you wait on Adobe to fix the issue, you can also remap the shortcuts to be more like the old/correct way.

Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Under the Commands dropdown, choose Code Editing then click the one you want to change and hit the shortcut you want it to be. You can re-write most of them in there,

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Good idea. Thanks Jon Fritz!

Just filled in the complete Bug report, submitted the form and......

"We're sorry, we encountered an error processing your request." Ahhhhhhhhh

Seems the page just magically disappeared

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to justblackcoffee

Hi justblackcoffee,

Sorry to hear that. A bug has already been logged for this issue and the product team is working on a fix. This should hopefully make it to the next update.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to the_deuceII

I'm extremely aggrivated with the vanishing/blinking cursor while navigating via the keyboard, and am disappointed that it has been a known issue for many months.

I'm also a little shocked that Adobe changed how standardized Windows text selection keyboard shortcuts work by changing CTRL+Left/Right to jump to the beginning/ending of a line, rather than skipping over words. More frustrating still, when I went to change this setting under Keyboard Shortcuts, "Go to Next Word" is still set as Ctrl+Right, which would be the expected behavior. But, when pressing Ctrl+Right, the cursor jumps to the end of the line. If I wanted to go to the end of the line, I would have pressed the DEDICATED HARDWARE KEYBOARD BUTTON LABELED "END".

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to tenroc2o0o

I'm going to wager that a disgruntled programmer went all Dennis Nedry on Adobe and did this on purpose just before exiting the company.

"Ah ah ah! You didn't say the magic word!"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to ReYrD

Hi ,

We are happy to inform you that DW's latest update is made available today. This update has a fix for the cursor blinking issues  Please install & let us know your thoughts

Also have a look at

What's New in Dreamweaver 13.2: http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new-dreamweaver-13-2.ht ml

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points