Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Tutorial on Dreamweaver templates?

Aug 27, 2013 3:02 PM

Tags: #template #cs6

I am fairly new to Dreamweaver (cs6), having previously designed and maintained a few sites using Freeway. I purchased a template from TemplateMonster.com in the hope that this would simplify the creation of a new site. The template came without any instructions other than how to unzip the file. Their helpline really isn't helpful at all. Can anyone recommend an online tutorial on how to use a predesigned template? Lynda.com doesn't have one. Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to addella

Are you sure these are actually Dreamweaver templates?

This page here

http://www.templatemonster.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

states that they don't include a .dwt file, which makes me believe it's not a real DW template.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to addella

Commercial Templates are often very different from Dreamweaver Templates (.dwt files) which are in fact a site management tool.   This often confuses people.

A Dreamweaver Template is a common structure used for creating all the pages in your site.  The template has Editable Regions which you define for content that will change from page to page.  Everything outside Editable Regions like your header, footer & menus will remain consistent throughout the site. 

http://www.smartwebby.com/web_site_design/dreamweaver_template.asp#1

Conversely, commercial templates from houses like Monster tend to be little more than a collection of CSS, HTML, JavaScript and image files which you must extract and save to your DW Local Site Folder.   Once you define your local site in DW (Site > New Site), you can open the HTML files in Code or Split View to add your own content.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points