Skip navigation
thejohnnys
Currently Being Moderated

tool bar

Aug 27, 2013 9:45 PM

I just installed Adobe Premier Elements 11 and am trying to do a quick edit. I can't see the tool bar. I am trying to split a clip but I can't see where the scissors are. I have looked on tutorials on You Tube. I know where it is supposed to be but it is not there. Did I forget to do some thing in set up. Any help would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks, Robert

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to thejohnnys

In Expert Mode, if you place the CTI (Current Time Indicator) where you wish to Cut, you can hit Ctrl+K (PC).

For some worthwhile tips on PrE 11, I recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series. This article has links, plus those for other resources: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5347119#5347119

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to thejohnnys

Robert,

There have been major interface changes Premiere Elements 11 versus versions of the program earlier than 11.

The principles essentially stay the same, but the features will have new locations. Some might even disappear.

Besides no Split Clip (Scissors Tool) under the Edit Mode monitor, there is no Freeze Frame (camera looking icon) there either.

a. As Hunt has eluded to, you can use the tab (has scisssor logo in it) located on the stem of the Timeline Indicator for splitting

your selected clip. Or, you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + K.

b. For the Freeze Frame (camera looking icon) which brings up the Freeze Frame dialog, you could go to the Tools Menu at

the top of the interface or the Tools Tab at the bottom of the interface and select Freeze Frame in one of those locations to get

at the Freeze Frame dialog. What I did was to create a keyboard shortcut to it via Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application/Help/

Freeze Frame. I borrowed the letter G from other and am using that whenever I want to bring up the Freeze Frame dialog.

c. When you say that you want to do a "quick edit", do you mean by that you are creating a short project in the Expert workspace of

Premiere Elements 11 or that you are in the Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 11? The counterparts of Expert and Quick workspaces in version of

Premiere Elements earlier than 11 are Timeline and Sceneline respectively. If you do want to work in the Quick workspace, please

check out my blog post with details of working there.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe11-quick-workspace.html

For comparison, what version of Premiere Elements did you use before Premiere Elements 11 Windows?

Looking forward to learning of your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to thejohnnys

And please do check out the free 8 part Basic Training tutorials Bill linked to in his reply to your original post. It will go a long way toward softening that learning curve.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to thejohnnys

Robert

Thanks.

I have responded in your other thread about the Content downloading matter. It is not just you. It is a slow and labored process at best....ever since the version was released, I have not seen any speeding up in the process. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to thejohnnys

I understand completely. I use PrE 11 mainly for testing in this forum, and I usually have Steve's great book open, when I do. I spend more time in PrPro, and then used PrE 4 for several years. PrE 11 IS a departure, and thankfully Steve G. has coved everything nicely with the book. Though I have been editing digital video for many years, I have also relied on Steve's Basic Training, and needed it especially for PrE 11.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points