Skip navigation
matthewroddy
Currently Being Moderated

Premier Pro CS6 Very Sluggish

Aug 27, 2013 11:51 PM

Good Day.

I'm running PP CS6 on a mostly home-built PC under Win 7 Pro, v.6.1.7601, Serv Pack 1, build 7601.

System is a64 bit Intel Core i7 970 @ 3.GHz, 3201Mhz, 6 Cores, 12 Logic

24GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 w/2GB, Driver is 9.18.13.697

Internal HDD is a 10KRPM Velocerapter (as I recall)

External drives are a 4TB Glyph ForteRaid via eSata.

My media is footage direct from my Canon 5DM3 - no transcoding.

My problem is my PP timeline is VERY sluggish (compared to what I'm used to in Sony Vegas Pro and FCP 7).  It can take a half to a full second for an action to happen.  For example, if I click on the edge of a clip to trim it, it can take that long to register the click, and then again that long to move with my mouse.  Similarly, if I click on the timeline to reposition the CTI (yes, I'm a bit OldSchool), it can take a full second to catch up with me.  Same with playback.  Once it starts playing, I get great fps, but it's just getting there that's the issue.

I have NOT yet tried transcoading the footage to Cineform or similar, but from EVERYTHING I've read, this kind of footage should be zero problem for CS6.

If you would be so kind as to guide me as to what I might look at to make my system a bit more snappy.

Also, I live in Southern California.  Are there any reputable Adobe Gurus out here that I can take my system to (as mentioned, it's homebuilt) where they can "tune me up" and see that I'm running everything in the most efficient manor?  I have some good projects upcoming (90 min HowTo videos, etc) that I would very much like to be running at peaque efficiency with.

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions, thoughts, ideas and guidance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 12:42 AM   in reply to matthewroddy

Hey Matthewroddy,

your system setup sounds good to my. Grafics, RAM and the HDDs have the right speed. So the problem is software based I guess. Do you have lots of

different applications running in the background at the same time? Is the Internal HDD the one you work on, or do you use the external drives via eSata?

I heart that some people have problems with playing back the h264 the DSLR cameras record. So transcoding it into a better codec could be an option for

better playback.

But the fact that you have problems editing it and trimming etc. is weird. This only happens to me when the system needs too much RAM. Did you check the

RAM you made availible for your Adobe Applications? Maybe its very low for some reason!?

So to me it sounds like your rendercache or systemcache for Adobe is set to low.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to matthewroddy

Open up Task Manager and report how many processes are running (for all users).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to matthewroddy

The likeliest explanation is that you're out of luck:  it's just the way PP handles the footage, and doesn't necessarily reflect an under-powered or poorly configured machine.

Before you spend time and money looking for a solution, transcode the footage to one of the free high quality intra codecs like Grass Valley HQ or Avid DNxHD, and see whether there's an improvement.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to matthewroddy
    I don't have a ton of things running.

How many processes?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

matthewroddy wrote:

I own a license for Cineform, but I keep reading that PP can "Handle any format you throw at it with ease!" 

Well, "handle" "and ease" offer a lot of room for interpretation.

The sluggishness on the timeline you describe can be considerably worse with AVC and AVCHD footage, and on machines with faster CPUs and more SDRAM than yours.

If you want instantaneous response, you may well have to transcode -- or just live with the sluggishness.

However, If you can make some footage available, I'd be happy to test it, as this matter is of continuing interest, one which I hope Adobe addresses soon.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Aug 31, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to jamesp2

jamesp2,

The CS6.0.5 update hasn't solved your trouble with AVCHD?

Lagging response of AVC-I and AVCHD Footage on Time-Line

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 7:01 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

joe bloe premiere wrote:

jamesp2,

The CS6.0.5 update hasn't solved your trouble with AVCHD?

Lagging response of AVC-I and AVCHD Footage on Time-Line

Nope.  In some respects, it may be more responsive, but in others, it's actually worse.  Now, the system will start "playing" (the timeline cursor is moving) before the correct frame is displayed.  And nothing actually plays.  You need to stop "playback", and wait for the system to update to the correct frame.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Aug 31, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to jamesp2

Trust me... if I were having the problems that you describe,

I would be raising a ruckus right along with you.

If you're up to spec, maybe it's time to 'wring out' your system.

A complete OS-up rebuild can sometimes do wonders

for mysterious performance problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

What kind of footage do you edit?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Aug 31, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to jamesp2

All kinds.

RED, AVCHD, DNxHD, MPEG, etc, etc...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Could be there's a real performance difference, or our test conditions aren't equal.

I test by moving rapidly through long time-lines (moving from cut to cut with "down" key), into areas which haven't already been accessed for playback, and stopping randomly, for playback. Try that with AVCHD, and I'd be surprised if you don't see lags.

The same system plays back AVCHD effortlessly in Edius, with the same kind of testing.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Aug 31, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to jamesp2

Ok... just for you I rebooted to Win7 to test.

I have a 42 minute Timeline with a few

cuts back and forth between two AVCHD sources.

One is the sample from ExactImage that has been confirmed

as being affected by the (now fixed) AVCHD bug in CS6.

The other is a sample provided by Fuzzy Barsik.

Both clips can be found for download in this thread:

CS6 / AVCHD / Spanned Clip Bug / What Cameras

And Media Types Are Affected?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5596038#5596038

When I jump back and forth in the Timeline from cut to cut

and immediately hit play, I don't see the lags you describe.

I am running CS6.0.5.

Timeline.PNG

note:

I don't have MPE enabled:

NoMPE.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

I don't have long clips on hand to test at the moment, but my guess is, you wouldn't see these lags with one or two long clips, broken up into edits, since the clips are already in the buffer.

The problem arises when PPro is presented with a large number of clips, which haven't been previously played in the course of the editing session, and you're moving through them rapidly and stopping at random.  That test can result in a lag of several seconds, before the system correctly updates (and performance appears to be worse with 6.05)

The same test with, say, GV HQ, DNxHD or ProRes, updates so rapidly on screen, you can't keep up with it visually -- it looks like one-frame edits.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Aug 31, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to jamesp2

You will of course forgive me if I don't spend any more time

attempting to replicate your seemingly unique concern.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Unique?  How many feature films are shot with 20 minute takes?  As oppposed to hundreds (or thousands) of 10-20 second shots?

You see these lags simply moving from one to clip to another.  The test merely amplifies the problem.

With AVC-intra in particular, why should it be so much slower than other intra codecs?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Aug 31, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to jamesp2

I wish you well in your crusade.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...