Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using the marquee tool in an action

Aug 28, 2013 5:46 AM

Tags: #actions #photoshop_cs6 #marquee_tool

Hi,

I'd like to create a PS action that starts out with a rectangular marquee selection. (So the first step in the action would be to switch to the rectangular marquee tool and then allow me to make an arbitrary selection).

When I try recording this as an action the selection (location, size) is hard-coded into the action. For other tasks I'd just check the "Toggle dialog on/off" checkbox to force the action to allow me to make my own choices but that doesn't seem possible for the marquee selection tool.

Am I missing something obvious or is this just how things work?

Thanks!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to RobertJoseph

It's just how things work. You would have to set the selection parametrically eitehr by defining a size preset that you call up in the action or a script that sets it.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to RobertJoseph

Maybe you could make your selection and then insert Select>Transform Selection using Insert Menu item from the Action's panel flyout menu.

Then you can adjust the selection and the action will continue after committing the transform.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

The important thing to do when recording the interactive transform selection step is to rotate the selection 180 degrees no mater what size selection you start with.  For If the current  selection is what the user wants and they hit enter to commit the transform no change would have been made to the selection so hitting enter would cancel the transform and the action would stop.  The 180 degree transform does not change the area at all however the 180 degree changes the transform and when user hits enter the 180 degree transform is committed. So do not use inset menu item and insert transform selection. Record a step transform selection 180 degrees then turn on the steps dialog to make it interactive...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points