Skip navigation
D-Jereau
Currently Being Moderated

Create a DVD menu to play only selected scenes?

Aug 28, 2013 10:11 AM

Hi,

I'm using Premiere Elements 11.  Is it possible to create a DVD menu for automatic play of selected scenes?  As an example, my movie may have 12 scenes.  However, I would like to give the user the capability to play scenes 2, 4, 6, & 12, without interruption (or the need to go back to the menu).

Thanks,
Dean

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to D-Jereau

D-Jereau

If I am understanding your intent correctly, the way that I see that happening is if you create a main menu "bonus" that targets copies of scenes 2, 4, 6, and 12 at the end of your movie.

In that scenario, the viewer

(a) uses Play Movie button of main menu if viewer wants to watch all

(b) uses Scene Selection Button of main menu to go to Scene Menu pages for scenes 1, 2, 3, 4.........through 12 (the works)

(c) uses Bonus Button on main menu if viewer just want to see specifically scenes 2, 4, 6 and 12.

Scene markers for scene menu

Main menu marker for start of 2, 4, 6 and 12 series at end

Please review and let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to D-Jereau

Dean,

If we are still in sync on this, I do not see anyway to single out multiple particular bunch of scenes so that they play back as such at the will of the viewer. Depending on a limited amount of your singled out pre-defined groupings, you could always have "multiple bonus" items. But, leaving the creation at will of these groups to the viewer is something that I have never found in Premiere Elements (any version). Or seen elsewhere. The Encore users are always boasting of Encore superior features. I have not heard of this one yet.

If you have seen it offered elsewhere, please supply more information on which video editor is making such an offer.

You could always have "multiple bonus" items, but the variations possible would approach infinity based probability considerations.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to D-Jereau

Dean,

If ATR's suggestions do not give you what you need, and if I read the post correctly, think that they will, you might want to look to a full-featured authoring application, such as Sony's DVD Architect. With such a program, you can create very intricate navigation.

For instance, in Adobe Encore (was only bundled with PrPro for last few years, so not a viable solution directly), I could create Playlists and link a Button to any/all of those, to get exactly what you want. Now, I edit each "scene" separately, so have one Encore Timeline per each scene/chapter. If I had one long Timeline, with Chapter Markers, then I would use Chapter Playlists (similar, but with a few differences), to do the same thing. Often, I will use different Playlists, each linked to a different Button, to re-order my "scenes/chapters," as I wish.

One example of this would be a 17 DVD series that I did of two young girls growing up. Each DVD had a Play All, then a set of Scene Selection Menus, linking to each "scene/chapter," and finally, a Menu with a Button for "Birthdays," "Christmas," "Recitals," etc.. Those Buttons linked to Playlists, that grouped the Timelines, with those particular subjects. In Encore, it's very easy to create very intricate navigation.

All full-featured authoring apps. that I have seen, have very similar capabilities, which transcend the capabilities of PrE. Still, I think that ATR's suggestions should work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to D-Jereau

Dean,

As I wrote....

The Encore users are always boasting of Encore superior features. I have not heard of this one yet.

It would appear that we have an Encore user (Hunt) saying what you want to do can be done in Encore.

But, addressing your original question specific to Premere Elements 11, I do not see any way of accomplishing your disc menu goals in Premiere Elements 11 other than the workarounds that I suggested.  If you have access to Encore CS5, perhaps you might want to export your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline to a file that can be imported into Encore for creation of such menus and export from there. If you are heading for DVD-VIDEO widescreen, then you might consider a DV AVI export.

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/file-formats-supported-encore-cs5.htm l

Please let us know the outcome. Success with your project.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I also think that your workaround can work for this instance, unless I mis-read the requirements.

As for Encore, as of EncoreDVD 2.0 (CS 2 Production Studio in my case), Encore CS 5, CS 5.5 and CS 6 (the end of the line for Encore), it can do that easily.

Now, I am only guessing with Sony's DVD Architect, but would hope that it can do the same. Maybe Steve Grisetti can comment, since he "wrote the book" on that program.

As we all know, PrE has many authoring limitations. First, they are semi-automatic, and very linear. That said, for most users, it works just fine. However, there are many, fairly common navigation schemes, that just do not directly figure into what it can do.

The downside to a full-featured authoring program, is that that "semi-automatic" work will not be done - one must do things by hand, but with that extra work, comes vast power. To me, that is a small trade-off. I will go for "power" any day. Of course, as I normally use Encore, I am used to doing much by hand, so it's just part of my authoring scheme.

I wish that I knew Sony's DVD Architect better, but I have used Encore for so long, that I have never found a need to even look at it. All that I know has come from here, or Muvipix, where it always gets great recs. Since Encore is no longer part of Adobe, I have the choice to either stick with my versions, or look to another authoring program. Over the years, I have used Encore, Sonic Scenarist (never owned it myself, but authored on other's systems, since it cost about US $50K), and DVD Studio (good, but with a clunky interface). Encore was my go-to app., but then, it will be no more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points