Skip navigation
TiER1VideoSuite
Currently Being Moderated

"...not a valid Photoshop document" error when opening Mac cc file on PC

Aug 28, 2013 12:12 PM

Tags: #photoshop #not #mac #pc #valid #cc

I get a "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document." error message whenever I try to open up a PSD file created on a Mac using Photoshop CC on my PC using CC. Other people have been able to open the file from the same location, so the files aren't corrupted. Anyone know how to fix this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to TiER1VideoSuite

Does the psd file have the .psd extension?

If you try File>Open As>PSD in photoshop cc on windows, does that work?

Do you have windows set to Show file extensions?

(uncheck Hide extensions for known file types in the folder options)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

I get a "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document." error message

whenever I try to open up a PSD file created on a Mac using Photoshop CS6 on my iMac using CC.

I have tried checking and unchecking the hide extension for known file types

I stil have the same problem.

Is there another soultion?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 11:16 AM   in reply to theonewithgalsses

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to share my experience and solution in case anyone else runs into this.

The other day, I spent many hours editing some photos for a client. I saved them all and closed Photoshop. When I tried to open the .PSDs, they all came up with this "Not a valid Photoshop document" error. I was freaking out. I could see the thunmbnails and previews with the MacOS Finder and could see the images just fine in Lightroom, but couldn't open them in Photoshop CC.

Finally, I remembered that these were NOT supposed to be .psd files! They were supposed to be TIFFs. What happened was, when I edited them from within Lightroom into Photoshop, they opened as TIFFs. However, when I did "save as", I wanted to name them similarly to some other files I had. I clicked on one of the existing files to copy the file name in the Save As dialog to make it easier to name the new file I was saving, but I didn't realize it was changing the file extention from ".tif" to ".psd" as well. The older MacOS (version 9 and earlier) didn't rely on file extensions fo identifying file types, so it didn't hit me right away that this would be the problem. When I changed the incorrect .psd file extension to .tiff, the files opened in Photoshop just fine.

SO... if you run into this "Not a valid Photoshop document" error, try figuring out if it's actually another file type (.jpg, .tif, .png, etc) by either getting the file info from another program or just experimenting with different file extensions. Chances are good that your file isn't actually corrupt, but just named improperly!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points