Skip navigation
Pablo28282
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with Direct Select tool

Aug 28, 2013 12:31 PM

Maybe I'm just dumb or something but the Direct Select tool is just broken.

1. When trying to move points ( remember this is the direct select tool - it's only function!) It moves the entire object unless you perfectly hover and wait over the point.

2. When trying to select a point you grab the placed image inside the frame.

Shouldn't it work EXACTLY like it does in Illustrator? If I click on an object the entire thing selects then I can move it if I wish. But the cursor seems to snap to the point so much better in illustrator!

If I want to move the image inside the frame I wouldn't be using the Direct Select Tool. I'd by using the select tool. Moving the image shouldn't even be an option when using this tool.

This is probably the most frustrating part of Indesign. Please fix this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to Pablo28282

no, illustrator is another program, and the white cursor dont need any fix, you can drag a rectangle to select the point (or points) you need to move. and is very useful when you move the image inside the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Pablo28282

Your frustration is understandable. Anchor point selection is unforgiving in InDesign, especially when compared to Illustrator with Smart Guides, although I wouldn't call it "broken."

I suspect most InDesign users don't do enough "path editing" on their InDesign pages for there to be an outcry over this.

Pablo28282 wrote:

It shouldn't be able to select and move an image. That is not the point of the tool.

That's always been a function of the Direct Select tool. Simply, if you're aiming for an anchor point and select the frame's content instead, you've missed the point. <rimshot>

There's nothing broken, and no advice to offer, other than zoom in further, slow down, and keep an eye on the pointer cues which change when the pointer is over an anchor point. I suppose it's also possible you could make adjustments to your mouse/input device settings that might help you move and click more precisely.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to Pablo28282

White tool selected

CTRL (CMD) click on image

Select your points

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)