Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video Files being Cut Off at the End in CC

Aug 28, 2013 2:32 PM

Tags: #avi #youtube #browser #tutorial #cc #fraps #web-based

So I've been using Premiere Pro for awhile now, and recently upgraded to CC. I record a number of different things that I post onto YouTube - vlogs, video gameplay, and web-based tutorials. My vlogs are still file, and my video gameplay recordings also seem fine, but I'm having an issue with my web-based tutorials now.

For both the video game and tutorials I use a program called Fraps to capture my screen + audio commentary. Fraps generates AVI files, and I have it set to chop the recording into 4GB sections (basically every time a file hits around 4GB, it saves it and starts a new file). For some reason the final recording in my tutorials is missing the last 10 - 20 seconds when I bring it into Premiere Pro CC. This is not happening to my gaming footage, and when I play the tutorial footage outside of Premiere Pro, the missing footage is there.

I can't imagine the problem being Fraps because:

1. Before upgrading to CC I never had this issue
  2. The AVI files from Fraps are fine when played outside of Premiere Pro CC

Has anyone else experience this and is there any known solution/work around (other than just recording an additional 20-30 second buffer at the end of all my tutorials to compensate)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to EndressAnalytics

Hi EndressAnalytics,

Thanks for coming to the forum. It's hard to troubleshoot on Twitter.

You do see similar problems as yours with variable frame rate video, common in some screen capture apps and iPhone video. Unfortunately, Premiere Pro does not handle variable frame rate video very well. You are going to need to work with a constant frame rate.

Here is Frap's FAQ: http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#fps

What I would try is by choosing a common frame rate, and then clicking the "Lock Framerate" checkbox. For existing video, to make those files work, you may need to transcode to a new format in Media Encoder or a third party app like VLC.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to EndressAnalytics

Hi Gabi,

You're right, it does sound odd. Please report on what happens next week and let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to EndressAnalytics

I can recommend a very good (free) screen capture utility. I record to the Lagarith Codec and get really good recordings using CamStudio-Recorder.

I can't help with your FRAPS issue, but I can tell you that FRAPS is not the only program out there that will do the job, in case you don't get an answer you can use.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to EndressAnalytics

Hi Gabi,

Sorry this just isn't working out with Fraps and Premiere Pro CC. Can you please file a bug report? Here is the form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but certain brands of screen recording software has been known to have issues. This is usually because of variable frame rate. Because you say your frame rate is locked, that might not be the case. I do suspect it has something to do with frame rate and file size limitation.

We can't know for sure unless you file a bug. Then, we can do some testing here and look for a fix based on your experience.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to EndressAnalytics

Hi Gabi,

I found this tutorial for Fraps and Premiere Pro. Hope it is useful. Check it out:

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to EndressAnalytics

I have just encountered this problem myself and found it to be a problem with recording from Fraps at 30 FPS, i tried at first recording the file playing in WMP with Fraps again at 30 FPS and imported a 30 second clip in to end up with only 4 seconds once in premiere. I then tried recording the video's end in WMP at 60 FPS and it seems fine, it is not clipping the duration down at all and so all i need to do is just edit the gaps in between. So i guess for now just record everything at 60 FPS which i assume you largely do anyway for game videos but even your non-game stuff, record it at 60 FPS until whatever the problem is, is solved. If you have any clips need to fix in the mean time, just do as i did and watch them in a video player in full screen and record with the Fraps input sound turned off, then edit the clip in. hope it helps!

Edit : One thing i did try, which might be worth you having a go of just to see if it is the same for you is, try putting one of your problem files into windows live movie maker, i did this and the duration was fine, but the audio was cut exactly where Premier was cutting the whole clip. So it is possible it is not directly a Premiere problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points