Skip navigation
JeffPadell
Currently Being Moderated

Organizer ELements 10 very slow

Aug 29, 2013 4:56 AM

Is it my P:C opr is it a design of the system, anything I do seems to take at least a minute.  If I drag a tag to another category it takes over a minute, a search on a folder with only 50 pictures takes as long. I did a Ctrl Z to undo a change to a rating and it took over a minute.

My machine is not that fast, it is a desktop I5 with 8 gig of ram and a 2 TB drive. I have about 50,000 images and videos on the PC

I have all the media analyzer boxes unchecked

I tried to move a folder from one upper level folder to another, I try to keep my photos organized by folders on my PC, it took a minute to move the folder

When I move it on my PC from folder to folder, since it only had 3 pics in it it was done almost before I let go of the mouse button.

THEN when I went to "reconnect" the pictures so they would show in organizer (it lost them when I moved it) it said they are already in the organizer, what gives?

I want to use the organizer to tag photos and be able to search on them but if I have to do everything in the organizer I am 60 and won't live long enough to actually get it to work!  Unless you dump everthing in to one big "My Pictures" folder and organized it then it will work, maybe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to JeffPadell

Am I wrong or is the organizer aimed at people who are afraid to go into their PC and move things around, using organizer instead?

Well, it's not anything to do with being afraid, but yes, that is the whole point of asset management programs like organizer, lightroom, iphoto, aperture. You use tags and categories and albums to find your photos and stop caring about where they are stored. That's how all those kinds of programs work. You can force things to go differently but you're working against the flow and not getting the most from your software.

Me, I like folders, too. So I don't use organizer, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Oh, for the slowness, go into the organizer preferences>media analysis and turn off everything except face recognition (if you use that). The autoanalyzer murders the performance of your CPU for no good purpose.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to JeffPadell

JeffPadell wrote:

My machine is not that fast, it is a desktop I5 with 8 gig of ram and a 2 TB drive. I have about 50,000 images and videos on the PC

I have all the media analyzer boxes unchecked

There is something wrong somewhere. I have a much less powerful than yours, with Vista and also a catalog with some 50 000 files. I just tried moving a folder of 80 pictures from the organizer : that took less than 5 seconds. So, while it is normal that the organizer takes a little more time to do the same operations than the explorer (it adds updating the catalog data), your situation shows there is something slowing down your computer.

You have already disabled the autoanalyzer.

You could  also disable the 'watched folders' service.

Here are a few suggestions :

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/856/cpsid_85658.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to JeffPadell

I upped the memory to 100%

Try 90-something%. Usually that will give you better performance than going all the way to 100.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to JeffPadell

I forgot...

Sorry, I am now with PSE11...

Moving a folder with 700 images in the 'Folders' view took still 5 seconds.

The number of folders was considered critical in older versions :

John R Ellis wrote :

"Sometimes the Keyword Tags pane is painfully slow to use – expanding and collapsing categories, scrolling, dragging a keyword to a photo.   My tests showed that PSE 6 became unusable with more than 500 or so unique keyword tags, but that PSE 7 was able to handle at least 1500 to 2000 keyword tags."

Personnally I had no problem in PSE6 with more than 700 tags. I don't think that is really a problem.

To summarize : I still don't see what makes your organizer so sluggish...

PSE11 : no doubt it's speedier, especially in folder view. I am always disappointed when I have to work with PSE10 on my wife's laptop which is about the same as your computer, with only 4 Gb. Suggestion : wait next month for PSE12... and use a trial version.

Edit :

For info, my system is:

Elements Organizer 11.0.0.0

Version principale : 11.0 (20120830.r.32025)

Version de langue : 11.0 (20120830.r.32025)

Catalogue en cours :

Nom du catalogue : Restaur 05 08 2013

Emplacement du catalogue : C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\Restaur 05 08 2013

Taille du catalogue : 246,2 Mo

Taille du cache du catalogue : 1,6 Go

Système :

Nom du système d'exploitation : Vista

Version du système d'exploitation : 6.0 Service Pack 2

Architecture du système : Intel processeur Famille : 6 Modèle : 15 Niveau : 13 avec MMX, Entier SSE, FP SSE

Mémoire intégrée : 2,7 Go

Mémoire disponible : 1,3 Go

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to JeffPadell

I had tought about PSE11 but heard there were problems with the Organizer importing from PSE10

As a matter of fact, PSE11 has been much improved in this respect compared with the older versions. Conversion problems are rare ; migration from old PSE versions to PSE11 on a new computer is still sometimes a problem. You have to use the backup / restore way : very safe, but can freeze on account of problematic files (videos...).

I will wait for PSE12 and try a trial version of it, wouldn't want to lose all this hard work tagging.

Even if you happen to be in one of those 'freeze' cases, you don't lose your work. In most situations you can solve the problem. Anyway, you can use other backup solutions to transfer the pictures and the catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 7:06 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

The advice from Barbara B above was a game changer for me. Over the past few months, my Elements version 11 suddenly became extremely slow whenever I completed editing an image. I usually save the image as a version set and the editor closes automatically. Over the past month, my PC has gone from taking a few seconds to taking minutes for each image. Even after the image editing was complete, I couldn't click on any other image for several minutes. Then I took Barbara B's advice: I unchecked everything in media analysis. Now everything is back to normal, taking a few seconds at most. I don't need Elements to tag faces or whatever else it is doing to try to make the experience more like Facebook. My guess is that most people using the program don't need the face recognition stuff. I'm not sure what else the Media Analysis does but it definitely froze my computer.

Thank you Barbara B. You saved me hours of trying to figure out what was the problem. I thought the file was corrupted and would have spent hours saving and opening new versions if I hadn't seen your advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 7:17 AM   in reply to AlanR123

I should add another piece of advice that might make your experience moving folders better. I added a folder that I called Temp (for temporary). It is located in the same hierarchy as my other folders contained in the Adobe folder within the photos folder. I now move all new photos into this temp folder before opening photoshop elements 11. After I open the organizer I choose file/get media and locate the temp folder. I then tag all the photos in that folder, assign them to albums, edit them. After that's all done,  I use elements to move the new images to a different folder that is already being monitored by elements. This clears the temp folder. The extra few seconds means that I never get the "lost photos" or "reconnect photos" warnings any longer. Plus, I can check the temp folder to make sure all of the images I worked on have moved out and into the folder that I actually wanted them to be within in the first place.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points