Skip navigation
Vendetti1000
Currently Being Moderated

Release compound without filling text holes

Aug 29, 2013 5:06 AM

Tags: #illustrator #adobe #text #fill #release #compound #hole

Hi ! First time here and first time in illustrator so I'll try as best as I can.

I have to take drawings from PDF files, edit them a bit and put them in a program that doesn't support compounds. For that, my friend showed me how he does it : select all->release compound. What happens (as it it supposed to) : all the letter that contains "enclosed loop" (like O, R, P, B, 9, 8 etc) are now filled with black, the holes in the letter/number is still a shape but it is now black. What I have to do then is select ALL of the "holes" that are now black one by one, and "paint them" white. My friend just re-writes the whole text which takes an awful lot of time. Is there any way I can "release compound" without making all the holes fill themselves ? In another way, can I release compound in the text without affecting visually talking ? I can send the PDF file I'm talking about as well as the .ai file.

I have tried a bit to play with "pathfinder" include/exclude but I don't seem to be able to make it work.

Thanks !

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Snap3.jpg

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Vendetti, I would really love to be wrong about this, but I think the answer is "no".

I do have some advice though. Use the layers pallette to get a hold of what you want. It is many times more understandable then trying to click on every single little bit.

Here is some text

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 7.37.35 AM.png

Here is that text outlined

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 7.37.55 AM.png

Here is that text with the compound paths released.

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 7.38.32 AM.png

The inside paths appear above the outside paths, select them by clicking just to the right of the "effects" circles.

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 7.38.58 AM.png

paint white.

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 7.39.15 AM.png

It's not really the solution you were asking for, I know. And again, I would LOVE to be wrong (someone please prove me wrong).

You may want to do it one word or sentence at a time.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

> "I can send the PDF file I'm talking about as well as the .ai file."

Yes, can you provide both files?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to elDudereno

Vendetti1000,

Before releasing compound paths, take the knife tool (hidden behind the eraser tool) and cut through one side of each character, into the "white" space. This will convert the individual compound paths to simple paths.

I'm not sure it's any faster than retyping the text, but it's more fun.

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 8.30.23 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to rcraighead

Nice!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

You can adjust your layer panel preferences to see a smaller icon and resize the panel so you see more information. It looks like the "SCALE" artwork is one compound path. You can cut through the entire set of paths, using the knife tool, to convert to simple paths. Or you can "Object>Compound Paths>release compound paths" to convert to individual compound paths. I think this step is unnecessary though.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Release a compound, draw a frame with the direct select tool (holding down shift & option) as shown by the red dotted line.

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 9.09.11 AM.png

This will leave you with a selection to color white

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 9.09.25 AM.png

This works well with type on a straight path. For type on an curve, deselect all, use the lasso tool to select bottom of all paths,

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 9.20.06 AM.png

hide your selection, you can then frame select the remaining doughnut holes.

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 9.20.20 AM.png

Craighead's suggestion is a brilliant one though. Hopefully you do not encounter pages of just type, as do no have any better ideas for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Yes, put it on a file sharing server and provide a download link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Could you perhaps post it on Dropbox, please?

The site won't work without cookies, pops up about a dozen banners and some scareware.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Vendetti1000 wrote:

... My friend just re-writes the whole text which takes an awful lot of time. ..

You can try this. There are online conversion websites for pdf to Word - just search for it. You may not get all graphics properly but it will at least convert all text to editable. Then change the font to a stencil type font - just image search for it. Then save from Word as PDF and open it in Illustrator. If the graphics did not converted properly all you have to do is delete the outlined fonts from the original PDF, copy them from the converted pdf, and paste in front and outline the fonts in the original pdf

edit: I'm assuming that your destination program can not use editable text too. If it can then you don't need to limit your font to stencil and don't have to outline it in Illustrator

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

I just tried the first conversion site listed on the Google results https://www.pdftoword.com/ they send the converted file to an email.

This is how your pdf file was converted to Word

http://goo.gl/uQHlXw

and this is how it came as pdf from Word and you can open it in Illustrator, its good enough for me for getting the text

http://goo.gl/CAuIGY

this is an image of the pdf file you get from the link above - all text editable

Capture6.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

I was able to retain the text by saving the PDF from Acrobat as a Word document then printing to a PDF. The resulting PDF can be opend in AI with editable text.

In Acrobat, use "Save as other… Microsoft Word".

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3910250/SAVE%20S604-273003-E00_020 _Word.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to rcraighead

Yes, that is actually even better if you have the Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

On Mac I have the option of "Saving to PDF" directly from the print dialog. You may need another tool on PC.

Steps:

1. Open original PDF in Acrobat
    2. Choose "Save as other: Mircrosoft Word
    3. Open in Word
    4. Save to PDF using "Save to PDF" option in print dialog
    5. Open new PDF in AI

AI is outlining fonts that are down-sampled in the original PDF. I'm not sure how the MS Word save gets around that, but I'm no programmer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Vendetti,

just to clarify:

Are you now going the live text route or are you still looking for a method to quickly do what you described in your initial post in conjunction with outlined text objects?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Allow me to ask one question I forgot to ask so far: Which version of Illustrator are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to Vendetti1000

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that I provided a one click solution (more or less) for a similar task a couple of times in the past.

Will have to check my archives.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Vendetti1000

In illustrator though, all the letters act as one "group"...

When PDFs are created, the process often auto-creates a kazillion clipping paths (often nested clipping paths). Whenever you open a PDF (one which does not contain an embedded copy of itself in native .ai format) in Illustrator, you should first break it out of such constructs by selecting all, releasing clipping paths, ungrouping, etc.

Quit Illustrator. Copy the script below. Paste it into a plain text editor. Save it as plain text. Name it JET_WhiteCounters.jsx. Be sure to change its file extension to .jsx. Place it in Illustrator's Scripts folder. Relauch Illustrator.

//__Start Script__

//JET_WhiteCounters.jsx

var docRef=app.activeDocument;

var currSelection=docRef.selection;

var whiteFill=new RGBColor();

whiteFill.blue=255;

whiteFill.green=255;

whiteFill.red=255;

for(i=0;i<currSelection.length;i++){

if(currSelection[i].polarity==PolarityValues.NEGATIVE){

currSelection[i].fillColor=whiteFill;

redraw();

}

}

//__End Script__

This is what it does:

I only ran this in CS3; that's all that's installed on this laptop. Have not tried it in any other version. You should always state what version you are using.

You can, of course, automate the selecting, converting to paths, ungrouping, releasing compounds, deleting clipping masks, etc., etc., by recording the steps in an Action and then running the script thereafter. (Just make sure the converted former text is still selected when you run the script.)

If you have alot of text, you can speed it up a bit if you want to by commenting out the redraw(); statement. (Type two forward slashes at the start of that line.) I just kind of like watching it paint the counters one-by-one.

Now...all that said and done, if it were me and if I had to do this often, I would not really do it this way. I would simply find a font that emulates "single stroke" lettering by leaving small gaps which avoid actual compound paths. Then I would simply Select>Text Objects and apply a Character Style which is defined with the font. It wouldn't have to be a full-fledged "stencil" font. It just needs to be designed with one "gap" into each counter. If I couldn't find a suitable one, I would launch Fontographer and create one.

Or, if practicable, I would find some other program to import the things into which does not disallow compound paths, so I could use ordinary fonts.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Vendetti1000

The script works fine on your file. Does the whole page in one run.

The script does not do anything to live text. It simply checks the polarity of selected paths.

When you open your PDF in Illustrator (CS5), you get an alert basically telling you that text is being converted to paths as it opens because of missing fonts. That doesn't matter to this script, since again, the script is concerned with paths anyway.

As I explained, PDFs are often an ugly mess of nested clipping paths. That is the case with this file. So the steps you need to perform prior to running the script are different from what they would be if working with live text objects before they are converted to paths.

To do your PDF, I simply:

1. Select All

2. Object>CompoundPath>Release

3. Object>ClippingPath>Release

4. Run the script.

The rectangle around the header text comes to the front. Just select that and send it to the back.

When working in Illustrator, always pay attention to what kind of object(s) you have selected, as indicated at the left end of the Control Panel or in the header of the Appearance palette. That helps give you an idea of what you need to do with something. It is often misleading, for example calling a Clipping Mask a Group; but that's Illustrator. After you've done steps 1-3 above, you'll end up with a selection of "mixed objects." That's an indication of  a good time to run the script.

The structure can and likely will differ between PDFs, so the specific steps will differ. But the basic priciple is you want to get everything separated into "loose" objects by releasing (or deleting) clipping paths, ungrouping, and (for this purpose) releasing compounds.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Would be nice to find a script so advanced that it would make the difference between shape that are letters and shapes that aren't, than change the outlined text into a real editable text.

Why reinvent the wheel? You're talking about optical character recognition (OCR). You can do that with Acrobat.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Vendetti1000

Easiest way by far...

1. Release the compound path... (Object > Compound Path > Release)
    2. Select the entire text block that has the holes filled in (include the filled holes).
    3. Pathfinder > Divide
    4. Select and delete the fills inside the letter holes.

DONE.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to ZDM-Designs

....but after using divide and deleting the old counters you are still left with compound paths

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to ZDM-Designs

the only way to get a shape with a counter to work without a counter is to use self intersecting geometry. (splitting the shape into two is cheating)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points