Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating A 3D Dome Shape

Aug 29, 2013 11:26 PM

Hello Illustrators.

Just doing my normal practise in Illustrator. Ive came across designing a dome sphere shape. And Im using the 3d revolve techniqe, So I have my symbol to

map onto the 3d elipse. but towards the top of the sphere the symbol tends to get distorted, and it looks aweful. So I also tried another technique to envolope distort with top object

but its hard to achieve making it look 3d, because the sphere faces dont go around.

any suggestions? thank you.

u2a71.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to inquestflash

is your symbol just a grid of circles? you might be able to adapt it to account for the distortion. hard to say without seeing it and having a play around.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 3:23 AM   in reply to inquestflash

This is how a soccer ball map would need to look in order to work.

http://i1.creativecow.net/u/46137/football_map.jpg

You would need to distort your map accirdingly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to inquestflash

You can also draw a circular array of circles, make a symbol of it and map it onto the side of a sphere.

Won’t be perfect but you will get rid of most of the polar distortion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to inquestflash

It is folly to try to do what you're talking about by mapping to 3D Effect, because you would need to start with a mercator projection, not an undistorted array of circles.

3D Effect does not map artwork to a sphere the way you are trying to make it do, and that will be evident in all the suggestions provided so far, including the soccer ball. See how the pentagon towards the top is "pinched" as it nears the north pole?

Think of 3D Effect as taking your rectangular artwork, wrapping it around a cylinder, and then "pinching" the top and bottom edges of it into a single point, in order to make it conform to a sphere, just like the longitude lines on the globe.

So in order to do what you want with convincing results using 3D Effect, you would need to effectively "reverse engineer" that process, "stretching" your artwork along its top and bottom edges so that it would be "unflared" when it is mapped to the sphere.

Consider this basketball which roughly simulates in principle what you would have to do to your flat array of dots:

Looks pretting convincing, right? Look again. Note how the center ridge still tapers to a single point at the visible pole.

Although disguised, there is a similar "pinching" in this golf ball, which was done by a 2D "Fisheye" envelope distortion. But it actually has a "pinching" effect at four points (because of Illustrator's inferior envelopes):

So this is one of many kinds of situations in which a regular 2D construction is more expedient than Illustrator's 3D Effect. The samples below are purely 2D constructions by the principles of orthographic projection, and don't have the polar "pinching" problem:

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Works nice, thanks for that link

Untitled-4.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 10:38 PM   in reply to inquestflash

No Adobe at all. It was done with a plugin called Flaming Pear Flexify, V.2. Input parameter was Equilateral, and output parameter was Orthographic. I used only the image Monica provided for the end result.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 3:29 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Check Scale to Fit when you map Monika’s image.

Use the whole image including the white areas at top and bottom.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points