Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere elements 10 stopped showing the video clips made with FRAPS in the timeline

Aug 30, 2013 2:46 AM

Tags: #premiere #10 #premiere_elements #fraps

Premiere elements 10 stopped showing the video clips made with FRAPS in the timeline

Editing the Avi files from fraps individually is no problem, they play there with sound and video, but once I dragged the edited piece to the time line the video stops showing when I press play and I only get sound. In fact, I dont even get an image untill I click the screen part of premiere. Then I get a still image which is selected and I can not deselect it. Though I then see a still image it still does not play the video, just gives me the sound.

Any help / ideas are welcome. It used to work without any problems. I first noticed that the fraps videos would not play in WMP either. That would suggest a bad codec, but after reinstalling FRAPS that issue was resolved and WMP plays them normally now again.

- I already reinstalled FRAPS (payed version)

- I reinstalled Premiere elements 10

- Windows 7 pro

- 32 gb ram

- Intell 3930K processor

- Nvidea 570 graphics card

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to JJE1980

Because of the codecs it uses, FRAPS video has some unique challenges.

This article from the FAQ library to the right of this forum offers more information.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/967201?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

I realize that you said that this is one of those "it worked before but not now and everything appears to be the same" type issues, but could you post the MediaInfo (tree version) properties readout for a typical problem video in this instance?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

We are interested in everything, especially video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio, duration.

Please confirm that you are looking at the rendered Timeline.

Also, how about deleting the BadDrivers.txt file to see what impact, if any, that has on your issue?

In Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, the path to the file is:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in that 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete while you have Premiere Elements 10 closed.

Make sure that you are working from Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives selected so that you can see the complete path.

I have not worked with Fraps but I have worked with people who have. My recollection is that successful workflow included converting the Fraps native format.

Please review and then we can think about what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the additional information.

The input that I got from ID XyKyWyKy is that the Fraps video can be used directly in Premiere Elements. The FAQ that SG cited in his reply to you contains the link to my interaction with ID XyKyWyKy on the Fraps workflow that worked for him. He stresses that the installed Fraps is the cource of the needed codec. So, here I might ask "When you reinstalled Fraps, did you have antivirus and firewalls disabled?"

From another perspective, let us get clarification on what you wrote

Editing the Avi files from fraps individually is no problem, they play there with sound and video, but once I dragged the edited piece to the time line the video stops showing when I press play and I only get sound.

Does the MediaInfo properties readout represent the raw .avi from Fraps or this "edited .avi" that you import into Premiere Elements.

Where did this "Editing the Avi files from fraps" that you mention take place?

And two just in case questions:

What is the project preset for your Premiere Elements project?

Do you experience any of the issues presented if you use non Fraps derived video?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980,

I do not want to sidetrack your discussion, but want to offer just a bit of background on the difference between playing the video from the Project Panel (Source Monitor), and from the Timeline (Program Monitor).

When one Dbl-clicks on a Video Clip in the Project Panel, it is opened in that pop-up Source Monitor. That links directly to the Video Clip, exactly as it resides on your HDD (Hard Disk Drive).

When one drags a Video Clip to the Timeline, PrE might have to process it, for Frame-accurate editing. One file type, that requires processing is an MPEG (almost every flavor), that has a GOP (Group Of Pictures) structure. PrE must process such a file to be full I-Frame (each Frame has a full display). That processed file is what plays in the Program Monitor (the larger, fixed one). It is that processing, that can show a difference between what one sees in the Program Monitor (processed file), and the Source Monitor ("raw" original file).

This is for background only, but might point up why a file looks different, in some respects, between those two Monitors.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to JJE1980

I am not sure what your

could this be a setting or something?

is referring to.

Sorry for the delayed response. I lost track of our discussion when some off topic "background" information was posted by another as the last post.

Does the problem with the Fraps video still exist - audio but no video? If so, please consider the following:

Your screenshot of the Fraps video properties shows some atypical aspects, example, frame size of 1920 x 1028 and display aspect ratio that is not 16:9. You mention PAL project presets, yet your video has a 30 frames per second frame rate.

Just to rule in or out certain aspects of your project settings set up, this is what I am suggesting....

your Premiere Elements 10

Project Preset = NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DLSR 1080p30 (I have read that the Fraps video is progressive rather than interlaced)

Import your video in Premiere Elements 10 with the program's Get Media/Files and Folder. Drag the video to the Timeline. Do not let the program attempt to change your project preset. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. Important Note: In the importing process, if you see any conforming going on as per a conforming progress bar at the bottom right of the interface, let that go to completion before doing anything else.

If you want to use PAL settings for export, then use your PAL settings.

The part of your description of the issue that continues to trouble me is

It used to work without any problems

If addressing this issue from the project settings side of things does not impact the issue, then we need to focus on the Fraps codec in your specific computer environment. If you have not already, please download and install the free gspot utility which hopefully will give us the codec status for video and audio. That utility is a valuable troubleshooting tool in that regard.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

gspot.JPG

Of particular interest is what will be in the fields for Video Codec, Name, Status at the top right column of the gspot dialog. But, the Audio Codec, Name, and Status will also be useful to have...just in case. This information should represent the file that you are actually importing into Premiere Elements 10.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the additional information.

The gspot codec readings are very helpful and promising, "Codec(s) are installed" and "No Codec Required".

That does not rule out the codec being installed but not available to Premiere Elements, but let us put that

thought aside for now.

You wrote

but my premiere 10 did NOT give me a 30fps option under your

That DSLR route offers

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 as well as DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

DSLR Settings.JPG

Just in case note....30 frames per second is a NTSC, not PAL, frame rate. It is indicated here since your

FRAPS has a frame rate of 30 frames per second, not the PAL frame rate of 25 frames per second. A further

indication for the DSLR choice is that it takes in video with a progressive frame rate which your FRAPS has.

The AVCHD choices are typically for interlaced video.

However, the project preset choice may not be the key here but it does need to be ruled in or out.

You mention a possible troubleshooting route to pursue

I did see was a problem with the Xiph.Org.Vorbis Encoder.. with a missing file.. going to see if I can fix that part

If that proves the answer. That would be great. If not, please let me know how the project preset route suggested turned out. Please reference back to my comments in post 9 of your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the update and your following up with the troubleshooting.

Have we gone through the drill of updating the video card driver? Maybe double check to make sure that your video card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Any chance you could provide a link to a download of very small sample of your problem FRAPS? Do you use Dropbox for such purposes?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the sample FRAPS. I am in the process of downloading it now. About 21 minutes to go.

I will report back right after I test it in my Premiere Elements 11 and others on Windows 7 64 bit. If necessary, I will test it also with Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

JJE1980

I downloaded your .avi file which MediaInfo described with a video format = FRAPS and video codec = FPS1.

From the computer desktop, it played back in Windows Media Player 12 with minimal audio and no video. But I do not have FRAPS installed.

The gspot codec utility told me that Video Codec(s) were not installed. And for PCM audio no codecs were required.

FRAPS CODEC NOT INSTALLED.JPG

So, I downloaded and installed FRAPS 3.5.99 from the following web site:

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

I did nothing else with FRAPS download except to install it.

Once the installation was complete:

a. I was able to play back your FPS1.avi file in glorious color in Windows Media Player 12. The audio still remained minimal. Can I assume that this is the way the audio is supposed to be?

b. I imported your FPS1.avi into Premiere Elements 11 (Windows 7 64 bit) with the manually set project preset =

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

using new project dialog option "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

When back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, I used Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your video into Project Assets from where I dragged it to the Timeline.

c. The video presented in glorious color in the Edit Mode Monitor. The sound was minimal, as before the FRAPS installation. The video on the Timeline had an orange line over it. I believe that was the case since Premiere Elements does not have a project preset for 1920 x 1028, rather 1920 x 1020. Nonetheless, the video looked good in the Edit Mode monitor before and after rendering the Timeline content.

d. Video Properties Information

The MediaInfo Video Properties Readout For What You Sent

MediaInfo.JPG

And, for what you sent, the gspot codec utility readout after FRAPS installation

gspotspotafter.JPG

Please review the above.

Your video presented equally well video and audio in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and Premiere Elements 10 installed on the same computer with Premiere Elements 11.

Pending further information, I would ask you to re-evaluation your FRAPS download and the version used.

Maybe do a complete and clean uninstall of FRAPS, ccleaner run through, and then reinstall.

Have you done a complete evaluation of your computer to determine if any new codecs or programs were installed about the time this no FRAPS video problem set in?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Sorry the news was not better.

A just in case note...does your Playback Settings look like the following for your Premiere Elements 10:

FRAPS.JPG

Also, for codecs, please check out

Windows 7 64 bit
    Windows Media Player 12

Help Menu

About Windows Media Player

and clicking on the Technical Support Information at the bottom of the About Windows Media Player dialog.

The irony in all this is that I have uninstalled FRAPS that I downloaded and installed for troubleshooting your issue; this morning I was about to delete the sample video that you posted; and I discovered that your sample still plays back video and audio in the Windows Media Player. And, I noted that it was listed with the codecs in the Windows Media Player location that I cited above. And the topper is that your video sample still imports and presents in Premiere Elements 11 with video and audio.

When I went to Windows 7 Control Panel....System Information, it gave me information as to where to find the decoder. It pointed me to:

C:\windows\system32\frapssv64.dll

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

For the Premiere Elements 11 MainConcept codecs, I can see that as a complete and clean deactivate within the program, followed by Control Panel uninstall, followed by ccleaner run through, followed by a program reinstall.

Do you really want to go the route

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0

Medio IO

Codecs????

With Fraps video and its FPS1 codec, I am not sure why you want to drag in the MainConcept codecs? From my very limited encounter with Fraps, it appears that it is the FPS1 video codec that gets your Fraps video (without conversion) into Premiere Elements.

Do you have access to another computer to use as a control for your troubleshooting?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the update. Very discouraging in view of your comprehensive troubleshooting.

Hardware defect? Not leaning in that direction. Still think it is in the Fraps codec somehow.

Please refer to my post numbered 18 in this thread.....

If you have not been there and already done that, please go to the site from which I downloaded the Fraps tryout and download the Fraps tryout. After you do that, see if your Fraps video appears.

Are you confirming that, at this time, it is still just the Fraps video that is affected by the no video issue, that is, all other video formats are displaying their video in your Premiere Elements?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Any chance you could get a higher resolution screenshot for post 25?

And could we see what that looks like in the Timeline view?

Do you have any new high contrast theme for your Windows 7 64 bit?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the update.

I could not open the hyperlinks. Tried several approaches to doing that, but still could not open them.

Could you post the .jpg files via the camera icon at the top of your next post? I have been using that approach

successfully for my screenshot postings.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to JJE1980

I am with ATR on those links. I could not get any to function for me either.

To attach Image files (PNG or JPEG) to your Reply in the forum, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to JJE1980

JJE1980

Thanks for the updates and screenshots.

With regard to those "Smart Fixes" and "Videomerge" pop ups, when they pop up, click on "Do not show again" and then click on No. Sometimes it takes a few rounds of that before it decides to do as requested.

You mentioned that "if I apply Any effect to the video, it starts to work normal again. That makes it more workable..."

But, I would ask, "Every time you apply the effect, are you always rendering the Timeline immediately afterward to get a better preview?" The rendering to get a better preview may be necessary for preview purposes.

There is a manuever that I have found successful "sometimes" for problem video where I force the need for rendering and once the video is forced rendered the problem let up. If the video clip has no colored line or a green one, you cannot render it. So, to force render it, right click the video, select Time Stretch, change the Speed % to 99 to get orange (or red) colored line over the content. Then press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard to render and turn the orange (or red) line to green.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points