Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Menu does not play on Windows Media

Aug 30, 2013 4:40 AM

Tags: #10 #menu #element

Premier Elements 10.   Simple menu, 1 scene button.   Menu plays in preview, but does not show when exported to Windows Media.   Previously lots of problems getting thumbnails to be read.  In general, menus seem to be a mess.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to vumadave

When you play it, are you playing it from the disc or from the VIDEO_TS folder?

Windows Media Player and Quicktime can sometimes skip the main menu. I'd recommend the free download VLC Player instead.

And, if you're playing from your hard drive, be sure to select the option to play the VIDEO_TS folder, not an individual file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to vumadave

vumadave

I do not get disc menus displayed before the start of a DVD-VIDEO movie when I use Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 64 bit as the player.

However, Windows Media Player 12 does come with player navigation. See DVD icon (for DVD menu access) at bottom of Windows Media Player 12 interface. Used that to bring up disc menus.

menu.jpg

SG's suggestion of VLC player for your Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus is a good solution, since then you will get

your disc menus displayed before the start of the movie. He brings out an important point in making sure of what you are selecting for playback.

Please also check out the Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO computer playback details for VLC and MPC-HC players in the following Premiere Elements Blu-ray computer playback blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-an d-more.html

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to vumadave

David Lee

Give me a little more time today, next 2 hours approximately, and I will check out the VLC player and Media Player Class HD x64 specifically on Windows 8 64 bit.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to vumadave

Did you select the option to play a file or a folder?

You must select the option to play a folder and then select the VIDEO_TS folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to vumadave

David Lee

I have a Windows 8 64 bit laptop.

I have installed both the VLC Media Player and Media Player Classic HC on it. Did you use the links in my blog posts for the download of these players?

Premiere Elements 11 DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc plays back on the VLC Media Player or Media Player Classic HC showing automatically the disc menus before the start of the movie.

By comparison, if I put a store purchased DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc through the same process, it plays back on each player with the disc menus displayed before the start of the movie. An interesting twist here is that with the VLC Player, I get the ONLY the disc menus displayed before the start of the movie, then the movie; whereas, with the Media Player Classic HC I get the first play (FBI message) and then the disc menus displayed before the start of the movie.

Now, if I put a Premiere Elements 11 AVCHD DVD through the same process, it plays back movie on the Media Player Classic HC but without the disc menus displayed before the start of the movie. You need to use player navigation that I mentioned in my blog post previously cited. The VLC Player will not play the Premiere Elements 11 AVCHD DVD.

Everything above is as I described for this type of playback as done with the players on Windows 7 64 bit.

The Windows 8 64 bit computer only has a DVD drive, so I could not do a Blu-ray comparison there....not until I get an external Blu-ray burner.

Is your Premiere Elements 10 DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen?

Please review and post all the details small or big to see if we can figure out why your Premiere Elements 10 DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is not playing back with menus before the start of the movie. I am understanding correctly that it does play the movie?. Can you use player navigation as described in my blog post?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to vumadave

David Lee

I asked about the following in the reply that I just posted, so let me ask again in view of SG's post which I did not see until after I had posted mine.

Please confirm that your present situation is that your movie plays back with the VLC player, but not with the disc menus before the start of the movie. That would put to rest SG's concern that you are not selecting the drive correctly OR offer a possible answer to what you seek.

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Consider

VLC Media Player

Media Menu

Open Disc

Open Media Dialog with its Disc Tab, select DVD.

VLC.JPG

There is no "VIDEO_TS" choice in the Disc Device field, just the name of the drive into which the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is inserted.

Just hit Play.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

So maybe the poster needs to confirm that he's indeed output a valid set of DVD files (and that he didn't just output an MPEG).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to vumadave

David Lee

Here is the plan. This will give us all (you, SG, and I and all) support and justification to continue.

1. Place your Premiere Elements 10 DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in the DVD burner tray. Go to Computer and the drive. Right click the drive and click Open. Do you see an OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder on that disc? If yes. Then close out of there.

2. Please download and install the VLC Media Player from the VLC web site using the link

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

You are going to download and install VLC version 2.0.8 (32 bit) even if your computer has a 64 bit operating system. This is a stable version.

3. After the VLC player is installed then read my details for Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO movie playback which are written into my blog post on the matter that I mentioned previously.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-an d-more.html

When using the VLC player for your DVD-VIDEO playback, you should be getting the disc menus that you created for your project before the start of your DVD-VIDEO movie created using Share/Disc/DVD disc.

Please review and then we can decide where we are and what next. Any questions or blocks along the way, please stop and let us know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to vumadave

David Lee

We are so glad that you have sorted out the issues and that you are moving forward in your projects.

With Premiere Elements the only exports with menus include:

DIsc Menus

burn to disc DVD, DVD-VIDEO

and

burn to disc Blu-ray,  Blu-ray

and

burn to disc DVD, AVCHD

Other

There are no menus included with the export to file saved to the computer hard drive, with the exception of the webDVD feature which is an export to a flash file which includes menus.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-10/create-and-share- web-dvds-/

I appreciate you wanting to make a public thank you in your blog for the suggestions given, but your report of success with your video projects is more than I could ask for and want. We all have navigated that learning curve so we are grateful for the opportunity to try to make it easier for others.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to vumadave

Help-and-Tutorials page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help with future work

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to vumadave

And if you want to know step by step how to use all of the tools in the program, check out my book and tutorials.

http://muvipix.com/pe10.php

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to vumadave

I know of no reason VLC Player would impede your editing. But, if it does, I suppose you can uninstall it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to vumadave

David Lee

Two things to check out

a. Please double check what VLC player you installed. There is a 32 bit version which I have and which I have been led to believe is the stable version at this time.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

This is the one that I have downloaded and installed for my Windows 7 and 8 64 bit computers. No problems with it or other programs on the same computers.

There is supposed to be an experimental 64 bit beta version which is available whose stablility is still in question.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Also, double check list of installed programs (Control Panel area) to see if any unwanted programs have been installed on your computer in the time frame of this present problem.

The ultimate test is, as SG suggests, uninstall of the VLC player to see if the issue disappears.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

My experiences mirror yours. I have VLC 32-bit on all machines, and have never had any issues with any Adobe (or CyberLink, or Magix) programs. It has proved to be a very stable, and benign player, and that is all that I use it for. One aspect of VLC (and MediaPlayer Classic), that I appreciated, is that it does not install ANY CODEC's to my system. It contains most of the non-standard ones, within itsefl. With a video-editing computer, I find that a major plus.

However, if, for some reason, it IS getting in the way, I would uninstall it, and test completely.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

To date, the only issues that I have had with VLC player were:

a. download from non VLC home web site which was associated with installation of several unwanted programs that my antivirus did a job on.

b. the converter claims for it which I have yet to work for me

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

In all the years that I have had VLC 32-bit on my computers, I have only used it as a "testing" player, and have never used it for any conversion. I have seen a few threads, where users had issues with files, that WERE converted in VLC. In most of those, when another conversion program was used, the issues disappeared. Now, there are probably many, many more, who have used VLC as a converter, and just never came to any of the forums, that I frequent.

Will wait to hear of the OP's success.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

We will be very pleased if we can help David Lee move forward on the video playback function of the VLC player.

I was not suggesting his use of it for conversion, just mentioning the problems that I have ever encountered with the use of the product.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

That was exactly how I interpreted your comment.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points