Skip navigation
swferguson
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements Startup Problem

Aug 30, 2013 3:21 AM

Tags: #elements_10_editor

Hi I am having a very annoying problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 that I cannot get to the bottom off. We have 20 PCs in a school with the program installed but whenever anyone (and I mean anyone - standard domain user, administrator, local user) runs the editor it appears to startup ok but then it immediately freezes and you can't access any menus. It freezes for approximately 5 minutes then kicks in to life and works ok after that. I have determined that it must go and try to check something on the network because I figured out if I remove the network cable it starts ok. I've been through a number of attempts to fix this including the standards of reinstall (from a  local location, and a disk and a network location), install it on a new PC (PCs are all running Windows XP SP3) delete the preferences file, start it directly from a shortcut to the editor and not through the shortcut it creates.

So my question is has anyone come across something similar and do you know what Elements Editor tries to do when it starts up.?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to swferguson

Hi, we are in a NSW DET school and have the exact same issue that has just started occuring.

Start Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, click editor. Then when you click a menu or any other item it freezes (not responding) for around 5 mins.

But same as you are experiencing, it works fine if network cable is unplugged first before opening!

Windows 7 here though, not XP. Happening on all workstations i have tested so far.

What the hell is going on?!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to timdotexe

Hello, we are in a WA DET school and have the same problem. We are using both XP and Windows 7 machines and the problem is the same on all of them.

Start Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, click editor. Then when you click a menu or any other item it freezes (not responding) for around 3 mins.

Anyone know any solution to this?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to swferguson

My guess would be it's looking for the non-existent photoshop.com servers. Go into the organizer preferences and turn off all syncing/backup options.

Try creating shortcuts for the editor and organizer .exe files, since I don't think there's any way to stop the welcome screen from running that check.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to JoshFVDHS

I have PSE 10 with the same behavior.

A network packet trace shows attempts to reach a particular servername at cloudfront.net on TCP port 80.

Yes, it's taking just about 3 minutes (160+ seconds).

I have been only using a shortcut to the Editor, and see the problem behavior.  There is nothing in the Preferences that gives me a clue about reaching out to the Internet.

I have just opened Organizer.  Under its preferences there are Adobe Partner Services.  All were checked on for checking automatically.   I have UNchecked them.  Closed PSE.  Restarted PSE.  Same behavior.

A packet trace shows:

1. PC asks for "static.photoshop.com"

2. The answer from DNS for that includes a reference to a 'cname':  d2rvjokk0fvmdi.cloudfront.net

The list of addresses has 8 entries. 

3. The PC tries to reach each of them.  Has to timeout/fail.  Then PSE lets me work okay. 

There appears to be some other hidden setting that PSE is acting upon.

I can't find any entry in the Windows Registry for 'static.photoshop.com', nor for any 'cloudfront.net'.  

Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to richjberke

I tried and found a somewhat devious workaround:  Add a dummy entry in my own host file for static.photoshop.com

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1   static.photoshop.com

PSE now starts without the lag.  (my PC rejects my own attempt to get a TCP port 80 session.)

I haven't found yet what that might break that I would be unhappy about.... for now I'm happy with the quick startup.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to swferguson

Nice work richjberke that fix - 127.0.0.1   static.photoshop.com works for all of our XP and Windows 7 machine. Thanks mate!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to JoshFVDHS

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 fixed with the same solution !

Both of them launches without delay.

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 8:16 AM   in reply to richjberke

Hi, glad this seems to be a solution to the same issue I've been having with Photoshop Elements 12.

Pardon my ignorance though but...how exactly do I add a dummy entry in my host file?  The host file text in the indicated folder on my computer is below. Where and how should i add it?

Thank you so much for your help!

---

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server

#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

#          127.0.0.1       localhost

#          ::1             localhost

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 11:11 AM   in reply to chrysfernandez

Use notepad. Copy the line "# 127.0.0.1 localhost" to the end. Delete the # and change localhost to static.photoshop.com. Save the file (make sure that notepad doesn't put a .txt at the end of the filename).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 11:20 AM   in reply to chrysfernandez

Hi, Chris.

To add a 'dummy  entry'.....

1. You'll need to use a plain text editor, such as Notepad. 

2. Edit the hosts file which on most systems will be at:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts    Note:  this is a somewhat protected file, so you'll need to be using an Administrator privileged account.  With Windows 7 I even had to tell Windows to Run-as-Administrator as I invoked Notepad

3. The 'dummy entry' is a line that tells the system that for the particular hostname, look at 127.0.0.1. That special address is for your own system to look at itself.  It's like looking in the mirror.  If you ask yourself in the mirror to answer for something that isn't yours, you'll reject the request immediately.

4. In Notepad move your cursor  to the end of the line that should already be there as an example for:

127.0.0.1    localhost

Press Enter to break the line at that point and prepare to add a new line.

5. Type in:   

127.0.0.1   static.photoshop.com

You'll be telling your system that it should look at itself for static.photoshop.com.  Of course your system isn't that host. 

6.  File > Save

File > Exit

Voila.   Your system will no longer attempt to get out to the real Internet for that address, and instead will look at itself.

I've used this same approach for several years as a technique to block some ads.   Usually there are no bad side effects.

Cheers,

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 4:53 AM   in reply to richjberke

Thanks for the very quick replies guys - and apologies for my delayed repsonse. I tried to edit the file as suggested (screen cap below), but I am unable to save the file and overwrite the "hosts" file in the folder. The account I am using on my computer running Windows 8.1 is an Administrator account so I believe I should be able to. Am I missing something...?localhost.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2014 6:43 AM   in reply to chrysfernandez

Hello everyone!

same problem here with premiere elements 12 and photoshop elements 12.

I think adobe got problems with the proxy-recognition.

I configured the Company-Firewall in that way:

<computergroup>    <action>          <allowed Services>    to        <destination(DNSgroup)>

videoPC1                "allow"           "HTTP and HTTPS"      to         "static.adobe.com"

photoPC1

videoPC2

With this config the computers can communicate with the adobe-servers for registration and validation.

BTW:

you can register your Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements all with one adobe-ID!

best regards from good old germany,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points