Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Significant enhancements since Photoshop 7 for my usage?

Aug 30, 2013 3:30 PM

I stopped upgrading Photoshop once I reached version 7. The simple reason is that v7 has handled all my needs just fine. I use it almost every day for a variety of purposes. Everything from Web development to cleaning up hi-res scans of photographs (BW and color) and art. I don't use it at my full-time job, so there's not really any production pressure. I'm starting to wonder if I can find a list of new features and major enhancements associated with each release in case I have a reason to upgrade. (The only time I've hit a barrier with v7 was discovering that its grayscale mode had a limit on what degree of bit depth it would handle.)

Unfortunately the Adobe info I've seen is far too wordy. I would prefer a simple table or list. Have not found one on the Web. Tips?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to HealthcareHelper

We're on version 14.  There are too many improvements to simply list.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history for a (still incomplete) list of the features added with each version.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to HealthcareHelper

Tips?

Just download the trial and see for yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to HealthcareHelper

Good advice from the previous posters, but I would like to point out two items:

Smart Objects and Smart Filters

Those have been significant improvements.

But you may want to consider whether you want the Cloud License that goes with Photoshop CC or a Perpetual License for Photoshop CS6.

The Cloud License seems to be perceived as odious by some …

And as you have not been a each-version-up-grader regular payments may not be in your interest at all.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,969 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to HealthcareHelper

If you download a trial version of CS6 be sure to install the CS6 updates, CS6 is not stable without them.  Adobe introduce some nasty bugs in CS4  which have not been fixed todate. If you use Photoshop Automation be careful when using automated processes that add Adjustment layers.  They may not always work as they should.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points