fmEveryDay
Currently Being Moderated

Building DLL for FDK API

Aug 30, 2013 4:33 PM

Tags: #framemaker #fdk #documentation

In the FDK Programmer's Guide, it says

<quote> 

Compiling and registering your own FDK clients

With Code Generation still selected, choose Single-Threaded from the Runtime Library

popup list.

</quote>

However, in Visual Studio, there are only 4 options for Multi-threaded and no option for Single-threaded.  I'm running Visual Studio Express 2010, v10.0.30319.1.  The instructions are quite detailed, so I think I am looking in the correct place.

Any suggestions?

#

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to fmEveryDay

Hi fmEveryDay,

First, sorry for the delay. I like fm Every Day too but it was a three-day US holiday and I stayed away from the computer.

Indeed, the documentation is out of date. Assuming FDK11, you need to set this to "Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)". That is the correct setting and no other setting will work. Older versions of the FDK use a different setting, but I'm guessing you are on FDK11.

It can be tricky to get a project set up correctly, so let me know how it goes. I use Express version 2010 as well, so I know it can work. I seem to recall something about a requirement to manually create a resource file when using Express. But I'll leave it here for now and see how you get along.

Russ

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to fmEveryDay

Kevin,

For all versions of the FDK before 11, I use Multi-threaded (/MT). I use VS2008 for all of those, though. I am confident that the /MT switch builds a robust DLL, but I won't say that /MD can't work. I've just never used it. If the DLL compiles without errors and doesn't crash FM when it loads, I'd say you are probably in good shape.

Russ

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points