Skip navigation
HammerTF8
Currently Being Moderated

PP CS6 see's Lagarith files as damaged after update came of 8-28-13

Aug 30, 2013 9:30 PM

Hi, I've been using Lagarith lossless files for quite some time in PP CS6 with no problems...but after an Adobe update on 8-28-13 I found that many of them that have been edited in numerous projects are now seen as damaged or unsupported files when they were previously fine. i tried unsuccessfully to relink them with the original files but nthey were also seen as damaged. I tried to reimport them into CS6 but they are also seen as damaged or unsupported so ca't be reimported and they are important to each project. Can anyone help me to find a way of getting them back where they belong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to HammerTF8

What version of Lagarith is installed?  I used Pr CS6 before the update, and I'm using CC now so I can't test directly.  But Lagarith 1.3.27 works as expected in CC, even with files encoded in other versions of Pr and using older versions of Lagarith.

Try cleaning your media cache.  Open up a non-Lagarith project (or create a new project).  Go to Edit>Preferences>Media and click on the Clean button.  Then try your Lagarith files again.

Jeff

EDIT: If that doesn't work, you may have to delete the cache files themselves.  Go to Edit>Preferences>Media again and see the location that Pr uses to store those files.  Go to that folder and delete all of the cache files.  Deleting cache files is probably a good idea anyway after a Premiere Pro version change or update.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 9:20 PM   in reply to HammerTF8

Adding to my confusion is that even though the damaged files are showing red media offline status...they are showing that they have been rendered with green line across bottom of the time ruler

Try deleting the render files with the Sequence>Delete Render Files command.  That will force Pr to reference the original, unrendered media.  It's possible that the preview files are the problem, not the Lagarith files.

If that's unsuccessful, then:

1. What's the difference between the Lagarith files that work and those that don't? 
    2. When was the last time you imported any of the bad files successfully into any version of Premiere Pro?
    3. Between those times, have you made any changes to your system at all beside the Pr update?
    4. Can you export to Lagarith and then import the exported file successfully?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Before you try anything else, trash your preferences.  Launch Premiere Pro from a shortcut, either Desktop or Start Menu.  Immediately hold down the Shift+Alt keys and keep them pressed until the Welcome screen appears.  Start a new project and see if the "bad" Lagarith files will import.

If that works it'll save you a bunch of troubleshooting time and me a bunch of typing.

If it doesn't work, we'll revisit your previous post.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to HammerTF8

You're welcome.

What was the reason that this happened in the first place so I can try to head it off in the future if possible. Should Prefrences be cleaned periodically?

Sometimes prefs get corrupted.  Only trash them when you get weird behavior in the program.  Now, is there *anything* different about the remaining bad files?  Are they stored on a different drive?  Were they encoded in a different program or a different version of Premiere Pro?  Try to think of anything that might be different.  Also consider the possibility that they may have associated cache files still lingering somewhere.  It may help to clean the cache database again.

Do you suggest that I output these projects to files rather than try to  keep the original Project timelines for easy editing in the future if  footage is needed? Would you output to Lagarith codec to try to maintain  best quality? What do you do with projects that you must keep over  years that you will probably use again in the future?

I always keep the projects and the original source media, as well as a Lagarith or UT lossless final export.  I store it all on hard drives -- bare internal drives that I keep either in a multi-disc USB 3.0 enclosure or stored in an anti-static bag in a cabinet.  If you're doing work for paying clients, then hard disk space should never be an issue.  Buy as much as you need when you need it.  

Lossless is the key.  In theory, you should be able to import a Lagarith lossless AVI file into Premiere Pro and export it out again with no generational loss of quality.  That's been true for me in practice as well.  Ditto for UT.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 3:45 AM   in reply to HammerTF8

You're welcome, Chris.  I'm glad you got it sorted.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points