Skip navigation
Jennifer Omner
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CC and Fontbook

Aug 30, 2013 11:39 PM

Tags: #indesign #cc #fontbook

I'm running InDesign CC on a Mac with OS 10.8.4 and Fontbook. I installed a free font through Fontbook. It was the wrong version per my client so I deleted it. I received a new font file directly from my client and I installed it in Fontbook. The font does look different than the initial one but has the same name. InDesign continues to display the previous version. I'm not sure how this can be happening since I deleted it. Any thoughts? I'm stuck!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to Jennifer Omner

Open Fontbook and choose Edit > Look for Enabled Duplicates. You can either look for them automatically or manually. I'd go through them manually and disable the font you no longer want to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Jennifer Omner

Try clearing your font caches and delete all adobefnt*.lst files where * is a two-digit number.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to Jennifer Omner

I suspect there is,  but I'm a Windows guy and my knowledge of fonts and Macs is limited.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Jennifer Omner

Try this: in Font Book, right click the font and choose "Reveal in Finder". This will show the font on your disk. Move it from there to, say, your Desktop folder. The font should disappear from the Font Book listing and, ideally, not show in any program.

Now open your ID file and see whether the font is still there. If it is, then you have other instance (or instances) of the font in other places of your computer, probably the ones used by Adobe, like:

• YourHD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts
    • YourHD/Users/you/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts
    • YourHD/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC/Fonts

Perform a search query in your Mac using Spotlight to find them.

One more tip: create a folder called "Document fonts" (with this exact spelling and lettercase) in the same place where you have your InDesign document, then put the correct font inside that folder. Close the document (if it's opened) and open it again. The font will appear in a different section (called "Document-only") of your font menu. Using this method you will be sure to use the right font, even if the "mean" one insists in remain in your computer for some reason :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 3:49 PM   in reply to Jennifer Omner

Glad it worked!

Happy weekend to you too!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status