Skip navigation
RG in PDX
Currently Being Moderated

Lexmark printer/scanner doesn't recognize Adobe Reader XI

Aug 31, 2013 6:15 AM

My Lexmark printer/scanner doesn't recognize Adobe Reader XI so now I can't scan to PDF. Any way to fix this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to RG in PDX

I have no idea what you are trying to do; why does a scanner need to recognize Adobe Reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to RG in PDX

Adobe Reader does not participate in scanning in any manner. Acrobat does, but that is a commercial/for fee product. Did you uninstall Acrobat and install Reader in its place?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to RG in PDX

RG in PDX wrote:

Those two replies were puzzling to me. Maybe I worded my question wrong. I have never purchased a version of Acrobat, just used the free download Reader versions. My printer would scan to a PDF and it was then opened automatically in Reader to view. When I updated to Adobe Reader XI, the scanner could no longer recognize Reader on my computer (said the application could not be found) and would abort the scan. An IT professional suggested I install updated drivers for my printer. I didn't have to go to that step because I was able to get the printer to scan to a PDF initiating it from my computer, rather than from the printer. It then opened automatically in Reader XI, so problem solved. The updated drivers might enable me to initiate the scan from my printer, but it's just as easy to do it from the computer, so I haven't bothered updating them yet.

"My printer would scan to a PDF and it was then opened automatically in Reader to view."

Your Printer software (more specifically the Scanner software) is what was creating the PDF, NOT Reader. The scanner software NEEDS to be updated to recognize a newer version of Reader to send the document to. Reader cannot do this. It only receives the finished document once it's sent.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points