Skip navigation
Cougartoo
Currently Being Moderated

Gartner SKU 76011 template

Aug 31, 2013 10:51 AM

I am extremely frustrated.  My daughter who is in Arizona bought Gartner 76011 tent cards for her wedding seating place cards.  I am in another state trying to design the cards and send the files to her so she can print them on her laser printer. Gartner only has a Word template and using the measurements Garnter sent me...the template I built in Adobe does not conform. We have sent a million files back and forth, but adjusting to something I can't see is tough.  She even scanned a sheet and I laid out  precisely on the llines of her scanned sheet....still no joy.

To be polite, Gartner's Word template does not lend itsef to design.  Even if I wanted to use Word for a design....the template makes that difficult....it has no lines....just occasional dots and teh position of a name...no way to place a design.  There are little quote marks and no way to decern where the actual margins and edges are.  I looked to see if Avery had a template for 6 on a card tent cards...they do not.  It apperas that the Gartner Cards vary a little depending on which line you are on....so the 6 cards are not all EXACTLY the same. To make matters worse, I live at least an hour from the closest store.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks.  Is there a hidden repository of templates that work with InDesign or Photoshop? Why in heven's name would  they only have unseeable Word templates.  Any insight or suggestions appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to Cougartoo

Why not just use the Word template?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Because that's what most people have available. Have you tried placing

the Word file in InDesign? My guess is it's just a table.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Have you tried saving the Word template (in Word) as a PDF, then placing the PDF in an ID document on a background layer, and laying out your ID content over the background?

You may want to insert content in Word before creating the PDF, for better positioning control when you overlay ID content.

You can hide the PDF on the background layer.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Cougartoo wrote:

I am extremely frustrated.  My daughter who is in Arizona bought Gartner 76011 tent cards for her wedding seating place cards.  I am in another state trying to design the cards and send the files to her so she can print them on her laser printer. Gartner only has a Word template and using the measurements Garnter sent me...the template I built in Adobe does not conform. We have sent a million files back and forth, but adjusting to something I can't see is tough.  She even scanned a sheet and I laid out  precisely on the llines of her scanned sheet....still no joy.

To be polite, Gartner's Word template does not lend itsef to design.  Even if I wanted to use Word for a design....the template makes that difficult....it has no lines....just occasional dots and teh position of a name...no way to place a design.  There are little quote marks and no way to decern where the actual margins and edges are.  I looked to see if Avery had a template for 6 on a card tent cards...they do not.  It apperas that the Gartner Cards vary a little depending on which line you are on....so the 6 cards are not all EXACTLY the same. To make matters worse, I live at least an hour from the closest store.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks.  Is there a hidden repository of templates that work with InDesign or Photoshop? Why in heven's name would  they only have unseeable Word templates.  Any insight or suggestions appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Upload the template to dropbox.com or point to it with a link. Then we can advise better.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

I second Peter's suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

It doesn't sound like there are guidelines, assuming it is a table. A "blank" PDF isn't going to do much good unless one tweaks the Word file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Why not have your daughter mail you one of the cards?

Keep in mind that ANY tmeplate you use is probably going to have alignment issues inthe actual printing. They get laid out according to the die-cutting, but that doesn't mean the cards will go thorugh the printer perfectly, or consistently. Allow big enough margin to accoutn for 1/8" drift from where things are supposed to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to MW Design

Most of these documents/templates are Word tables.

I've given them strokes in Word and then exported as PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

@Sandee--yep, I know. Just mentioning that because if the OP simply made a PDF from the document as is, there can/will be more frustration with the project.

The tent cards @ 8-per page are small, intended for name-only type of tent cards. Or a small logo/image/art added. They should be about 1 13/16" x 4 1/4" or so when folded, so about 3 5/8" x 4 1/4" per card down the sheet, two columns.

From there, it is as Peter says, a matter of enough safe area that the registration of the text/element isn't an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Have you tried downloading the template from Gartner's website? That way you can print/export a sample yourself with outlines as has been suggested here. It may be easier that way.

I take that back. I see you have the template. Print one page with outlines: with one page selected go to Format/Borders and Shading/Grid.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Edit/Preferences/Units and Increments/Ruler units. You can choose there inches.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Download this and place it as your background layer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2548785/Placecard-Template-2.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

Oh, and when you place it, make sure to show options and choose media.

That will give you the 8.5x11 PDF that you can place exactly on the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to Cougartoo

I prefer a nice savignon blanc but feel free to toast with the beverage of your choice. <g>

Glad it all worked out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points