Skip navigation
Chekizian
Currently Being Moderated

file too large

Aug 31, 2013 1:57 PM

I have seen some comments on this but no solutions. My new camera's file sizes are huge and I can't import pics to my video projects. Says file is too big or wide or something. I'm using premiere elements 4. If I crop down, I can get it to work but resizing in Photoshop didn't work. Is there no other option besides upgrading? If I upgrade to 11, will that solve the problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to Chekizian

>resizing in Photoshop didn't work

I have never heard of a JPG that Photoshop would not resize... I do it all the time... just what ARE your pictures?

You really need to scale your pictures before trying to edit in Premiere Elements, even version 11

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Chekizian

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the answers to John T's questions, what Project settings did you choose at New Project?

If possible, can you give us the pixel x pixel dimensions of your Still Images, and also the exact text of the error message.

With PrE 4, the maximum pixel x pixel size was 4096 x 4096, so it does sound like you are exceeding PrE 4's ability to Import those - but until we know the exact size in pixels, we will not know.

As for Photoshop, what problems did you encounter, when doing the Scaling?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to Chekizian

Chekizian

What exactly is the image of size (pixel dimensions) that is too large for import into Premiere Elements 4.

Please refer to this old article where I detail pixel dimensions and the "too large file size" message of earlier versions of Premiere Elements.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/624979

The too large a size does not go to a specific dimensions such as 4096 x 4096, but rather to the total number of pixels as I have described in the reference that I have cited.

Are you using jpgs or other like raw?

In the current version, Premiere Elements 11, you will not get any warning too large messages. Depending on your computer resources, one is able to import images with large pixel dimensions. I have imported several images 10000 x 7500 pixels with a crash. As they say, that was just a test, do not.... Some have been successful in using non classically recommended sized images for these projects, while many other have not. But, if you have Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it is a 64 bit application running in the 64 bit application and thus able to take advantage of the 64 bit resources. Your Premiere Elements 4 is a 32 bit application running in 32 bit whether your computer is 32 or 64 bit and thus has all the resource limitations of 32 bit.

On the matter of you not being able to resize this image in Photoshop...do you mean Photoshop or Photoshop Elements?

Where are you doing this resizing, if Photoshop Elements.Full Editor...Image Menu/Resize/Image Resize and its dialog or File Menu/Process Multiple Files. Where are you doing this cropping of the image?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Chekizian

Chekizian

Thanks for the reply with the additional information. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I write. We do not want to take anything for granted. Just get to the core of the matter as quickly as possible so that you can move forward with your project.

With regard to Photoshop Elements 6 and the Image Menu/Resize/Image Resize and its dialog....I suspect the key to getting that to work for pixel dimensions is to have a check mark next to Resample Image (see option at bottom of the dialog).

Inches have no meaning in this type of work. Think pixels. Please give the image resize dialog another look with Constrain Proportion without a check mark and Resample Image with a check mark. Leave the Resolution at 72 pixels/inch and try to set for 1920 x 1080 (which is 16:9). This is just a test. We can fine tune the pixel dimensions once we know what kind of project you are targeting.

What is going into this project (photos, videos, both) and how do you want your viewers to watch the export?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 6:33 PM   in reply to Chekizian

Well, PsE will Scale to pixel dimensions.

You have 17680000 pixels, in your example ( 5200 x 3400), but PrE 4 can only handle 16777216 pixels (4096 x 4096). You are over the limit, as the error message tells you.

For more info on Scaling in Ps, or PsE, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?start=0&tstart=0

It explains Scaling in Ps, or PsE (thanks to Neale).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I do not believe neaheh defined what was happening with the photos and the Elements Organizer's Export As New File(s), that is, calling what was being done as Scaling. That looks like a photo resizing as well as format changing operation.

I make that note since I continue to think about photo resizing and photo scaling as different entities.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/photoshopelements/articles/c oncept_resize.html

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/photoshopelements/articles/c oncept_scale.html

In addition, care must be taken on when deciding between batch resizing versus batch cropping/resizing.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Neale's contribution was for Ps Elements, and Scaling. Mine were for Ps and Scaling. Not sure how you got confused, and added Organizer to the mix?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

As for the terms, "photo resizing," and "photo scaling," what are you talking about? They are the same thing, at least everywhere that I have been. One might get hung up on semantics, only to obfuscate the issue, but to change the pixel x pixel dimenions of a Still Image is basically the same thing. \

Think of the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale. If one does not alter the Aspect Ratio, say by setting only the width, the result is the same.

I think that you are missing something important here, and are very likely to confuse the OP. Let's keep this to pixel x pixel dimensions, and not get side-tracked.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Nothing to be confused here for the OP. Only factual information.

You wrote:

I think that you are missing something important here, and are very likely to confuse the OP. Let's keep this to pixel x pixel dimensions, and not get side-tracked.

I do not see where that is the case, consequently I dispute that interpretation of my post.

No one getting side tracked or confused on this side by me.

In support of that, I present what you wrote:

Neale's contribution was for Ps Elements, and Scaling. Mine were for Ps and Scaling. Not sure how you got confused, and added Organizer to the mix?

Neaheh demo'd the Export As New File(s) feature for the resizing of those photos. Please take a look. Photoshop Elements Full Editor does not have that option. It is in the Elements Organizer. Do you have Photoshop Elements to check it out. If not, ask Nealeh for verification. I have several versions of Photoshop Elements and that is where that feature is. I tell you that first hand.

"..and added Organizer to the mix?" begs your look at the feature being supported by you if you have to ask why I added the location to the name of the feature. It is important for the location of suggested features to be pointed as well as the feature. I felt that was factual and helpful information for the OP.

I will continue to respond to Chekizian in a factual and helpful manner. Chekizian posted about how to deal with photo rejected by the program because of pixel count and that is where ALL by replies here have contributed to.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to Chekizian

Go back and re-read my reply #1

No, version 11 will not handle that many large pictures... and the first link I provided goes to an article describing "mass" resizing

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Chekizian

Chekizian

Thanks for the follow up.

You wrote

I would have thought the program would resize the photos on its own when you try and bring them into the project. but that doesn't appear to be the case.

When you open your new project, you set your project preset to match the properties of your source. Consequently, the program is directed to set the correct sized space  in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. There is an option in the preferences named "Default Scale to Frame Size" (Typically I have found that set as the default in its location Edit Menu/Preferences/General). And, that preference "Default Scale to Frame Size" references to the project preset and does what its name implies.

The catch with Premiere Elements 4 and a few other versions is that the program will not let you import a still image with greater than 16777216 total pixels and it tells you so with its "..too large" message. So, your photo 5200 x 3400 pixels (17680000 total pixels) is never going to get the opportunity to be resized by the program via Default Scale to Frame Size. If your image was had less than16777216 pixels, the  "Default Scale to Frame Size" take care of your automatic resizing of your oversized still to fit the Edit Mode Monitor space (if possible). Premiere Elements 11 puts out no such "too large" message. And, as I mentioned, you can import images even as large as 10000 x 7500 pixels. But see my prior disclaimer on going with that great a pixel dimension.

As for resizing your image. The following are some considerations:

Photoshop Elements Full Edit. File Menu/Process Multiple Files. (for resizing)

Elements Organizer. File Menu/Export As New File(s). (for resizing)

Free IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/     (for batch cropping/resizing)

Microsoft Office Picture Manager http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/about-picture-manager-HP0010017 21.aspx

Not to be overlooked...once you get your still imported successfully by any of these versions, you can use (in your case) Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale property to scale the image to fit the space in the monitor with or without the Default Scale to Frame Size. Alternatively you could just click on the Edit Mode monitor, and use the handles of the image's bounding box for your scaling purposes.

This post was intended as an overview. Please let us know if any of this works for you and if you need supplemental information more specific to your situation, including resizing versus cropping/resizing.

We hope that you find the above information useful.

Thanks. Looking forward to your progress.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to Chekizian

Excellent!

Thanks for reporting your success.

Happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Chekizian

Chekizian

Thanks for the follow up good new and the opportunity to be of assistance in your Premiere Elements project.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written or need additional information on the project workflow.

We are very pleased with your progress.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points