Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opening Movie Menu crashes PE11, why?

Aug 31, 2013 1:53 PM

Another problem!  A probably buggy one.   I'm trying to use Tools > Movie Menu to add Main Menu and Scenes menu but each time I open it, PE11 crashes.   It may be because what I'm trying to do isn't straightforward.  Namely, I had put together from separately edited clips an entire 1½ hr movie, but because I made a mistake in the Main Menu I created, I'm trying to change it.

I imported the full video which I'd made with your help for the Blu-ray, and as soon as it got to the Timeline, all the existing Menus (main ones, I didn't create Scene menus) automatically appeared.   First I tried clearing all existing menus using the Markers tab (top left of the timeline) but when I tried Movie Menu, PE11 crashed.   So this time I left all the menus in place until I got to choosing a Menu Theme.

It's at this point that the crash occurs.  The first time was during the process of downloading a theme I hadn't used before, but the second time I tried using an existing theme on my pc (Windows 7, 64-bit) and it still crashed.

I wonder if this is 1) because there are existing menus in the movie;  2)  the "clip" (ie the whole movie) is simply too large?  3)  Instead of importing the file as the completed m2t file, should I have worked on an original .prel file, ie the final one from my original editing before I converted it for Blu-ray?

If none of the above 3 points is correct, is there any way, eg via a log, of pinpointing the cause?

In the meantime I'll try the procedure using the original .prel file.

Thanks for help, suggestions, links to answers already in existence &c

all best

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

1. If you want to change a disc menu, do not go near the Timeline markers. In the Movie Menu section dialog, look to the upper right corner of the interface where it says Preview Disc - Menu Theme - Reset - Done. Hit Reset and then proceed with your menu change using the "Menu Theme" in the Preview Disc - Menu Theme - Reset - Done lineup OR Tools Menu/Movie Theme route.

2. When you get those "Where is .....?" messages that is the program telling you that you have moved the source media that went into that project after you saved/closed the project. Those messages are valuable in that they can help you reconnect the missing media. Do you know where the files are that they are asking for?

3. Tell me which menu that you want to cancel music and I will tell you how to. The music file for a menu is included in the theme folder for the disc menu template. For no music, we can temporarily remove the music file from that folder. Do you want no music or do you want to replace the music with 30 seconds of your own. If your own, you can do that through the Audio Background customization feature.

Please let me know if any of the above helped. If not, more details so that we can work through them.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

I need to think about this some more, but what about this....

You open your project and your get all those "Where is....?" missing media messages.

Let us stay that you click "Skip All" to get the project to open.

Next you expand the Expert workspace Timeline content to the max with the Zoom Out ( - ) and Zoom In ( + ) slider above the Timeline and then scroll across the Timeline content to find the thumbnail(s) with the colorful Media Offline red fill.

When you find these thumbnails, use Replace Footage to replace them OR just delete them from what you are about to export. They will do you no good with the Media Offline red fill. Also, check Project Assets to make sure that the counterpart is taken care of.

Does any of that help?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

With regard to the specific

Rendered - a4943215-4082-403f-ae31-33b3dcad248c.mpeg

That appears to be a preview file from rendering the Timeline of the HD project?

So, look at your Timeline content for area(s) where there is red line(s) over it?

Or, just render the whole Timeline by pressing the Render button over the Timeline OR the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. Save/close the project. And, then reopen the project to see if you are greeted with a missing media message specific for that Rendered - a4943215-4082-403f-ae31-33b3dcad248c.mpeg.

Looking forward to the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

I agree with ATR, that this is a Render file. It should have zero effect on your Timeline, with but one instance - for ultimate playback, a Render of the Timeline, or a portion of it, might be required. As ATR points out, if a Render file is missing, then a red (or now yellowish-orange) line will appear above a portion of the Timeline.

If you purged your Scratch Disks, then there are links in the PREL, pointing to any Render files, but they no longer exist. If one does a Render of the Timeline, those links will be changed to the new Render files - or they should be.

If, however, you are getting the "Where's file ____ ?," or the "Media Offline" messages, for actual Assets, then something has happened to those - Moved, Deleted, Renamed? This article addresses the "Where's file ____?" message for Assets (not Render files): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/990503 It also links to a separate article on "Media Offline." Remember, this is for Assets only.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

With regard to your menu music questions....

For General/Grid, the path to its music file is

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

General

Grid

and in the Grid Folder is the music file which is named matrix_mm_bg.mp3

For the Entertainment/Art-in-Motion, the path to its music file is

Local Disk C

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Template

All_Lang

Entertainment

Art-in-Motion

and in the Art-in-Motion Folder is the music file which is named Artistic Theme Menu_bg_audio.mp3

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 6:13 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

That was great news and progress.

Thanks for the details along the way. Very helpful to all.

I am still working with the CyberLInk Suite from my Blu-ray burner purchase. Still OEM. I use it only for Blu-ray playback since I do not have a standalone Blu-ray player.

I have not followed up on the ins and outs of that software. But, it is my impression that you cannot just move it to another computer and use it on another computer unless it recognizes the Blu-ray burner there that it came with.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points