Skip navigation
prman13
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to access different drives in setup Browse for Folder screen.

Aug 31, 2013 5:05 PM

Tags: #files #saving #different #scratch #selecting #disks #photoshop_elements_10 #drives

When I create a new project, I am asked to save the file in a drive/directory. When I hit the Browse button, the only options are the Desktop or my Users folder name. I cannot access the Computer folder which would allow me to save to other drives, such as F drive, G drive, I drive, etc.

Within the project, I have set the Scratch Disks menu to the proper folder on the I drive, and it saves the instructions. But when I try to "Get Media" in the Video Importer screen, the "Save In" pull down menu only lets me save to the Users file on the C drive. It will not show any option by which I can change the drive in which to save the imported media.

Why is this? Help!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to prman13

What OS, and version are you using?

Do you have full Administrative privileges in your account?

The Save dialog goes into the OS's resources, so my first guess would be that something is not quite right in your OS, and your privileges.

As a test, when you launch PrE, Rt-click on it, and choose Run As Administrator. Does that change anything?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to prman13

prman13

Looking over your prior posts in this forum, you appear to have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit. Prior to that you were using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. In all this time, I am assuming that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are operating

Run As Administrator

and/or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

So, I am discounting them for the moment unless you specifically indicate that there is an issue in this regard.

All that being said, it this problem with setting the save location in the new project dialog a new one. That is, is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

For the purpose of this troubleshooting, could you please direct ALL the Scratch Disk (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to a Folder on the Desktop? Where they are now, how much free space is there at that location and are all the Scratch Disks directed to the same place?

Besides the Local Disc C, what other drives do you have, starting with this I drive. Is the I drive and other drives external or internal and formatted NTFS or FAT32?

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to prman13

Yes, it IS a retirement project. After 40 years as an advertising photographer, I closed up shop. Early on, when I left civil engineering, I got a degree in cinematography, and was nominated for an Academy Award, but all of my clients wanted my still photo capabilities. It was not until later, that I "revisited" my roots - cinema. However, by then, video had changed greatly, and was digital. I began a new career of editing digital video, until a few years ago.

As for partitions, those are something from the past, when an OS could only see a certain size of HDD. This article will give you more background: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5274334#5274334

I would not partition an HDD, unless I had a very, very good reason to do so.

As for the Run As Administrator, that can solve several possible problems, and is why I mentioned it.

If one is unable to access a particular HDD, then it is usually due to permissions and one's priviledges, and especially as most Adobe programs rely on the OS, for such aspects.

For the use of external HDD's, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5567553#5567553

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to prman13

prman13

Just about to call it a day and saw your reply.

When you reopened the program as Administrator, did you right click the Premiere Elements desktop icon and select Run As Administrator or just run the program in a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Are browsing and navigating issues only when operating Premiere Elements or are you having any problems with any of your other computer programs in the same regard?

If the issue is only with Premiere Elements, then I would deactivate the program from the project Help Menu/Deactivate, close the program. Then uninstall the program via the usual Control Panel route. Then disable the anti-virus and firewalls and do the reinstall.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to prman13

>PE10 in a Windows 8, 64-bit environment

Starting with Win7, Microsoft changed the security rules... you may want to search for security permission help at Microsoft

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points