Skip navigation
fredtat
Currently Being Moderated

Pen tool lag after upgrading to CC

Aug 31, 2013 6:13 PM

Tags: #lag #pen_tool #cc

Hi everyone, after upgrading to CC my pen tool is seriously lagging. Whenever I click a new anchor point, it takes about 1 second for it to appear. Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 1, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to fredtat

Interesting.

I'm seeing about 1/2 second delay myself, on a quite powerful 12 core system, and this is quite a bit longer than with Photoshop CS6, which dropped the anchor points pretty much instantly.  I hadn't really noticed before since I don't use the pen tool all that often.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 2, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to fredtat

I could find no workarounds.  No doubt Adobe has seen this; we can hope for a fix in a future release.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2014 6:32 AM   in reply to fredtat

Is there any news to this?

I'm using Photoshop v14.2 x64 on Windows 8.1 (running on a i7-3770K /w 16GB RAM and a Geforce 770GTX Graphics Card) - so it should be enough imo.

And place a pathpoint takes approx. 1 sec.

Photoshop CS6 v13.1.2. x64 (also from cloud) works instantly...

I'm wondering, does not everybody have this problem? and if not, i'm curious to find out what's causing it 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 30, 2014 10:48 AM   in reply to SMeurer

I just checked again.  I still see about a 1/2 second delay between clicking the pen tool and a point appearing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 30, 2014 12:31 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No lag on mine Noel.   Hmmm...  Just tried the mouse and get the lag.  Tablet still OK though.

ISTR a thread about mouse lag after using the tablet, and a clunky sounding work around.  This would have been in the last week or so.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 30, 2014 12:32 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 30, 2014 12:52 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Thanks Trevor, but info in the other thread doesn't seem pertinent to my system.

I have only a mouse, no tablet in sight, and for me the pen responsiveness seems the same for 32 and 64 bit Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 5:29 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I also don't have a tablet connected atm. Buti will try it (though i prefer using the mouse when using the pen tool as its more accurate imo). But it still seems to be a bug... strange... maybe it's the mouse-driver? (i'm using a microsoft sidewinder x8).

Though it still works on CS6 as noted above and just not on CC, so it's probably photoshop related... Seeing this thread is nearly 5 months old and there have been updated for photoshop cc, i doubt this is on adobe priority's list but i still hope they are aware of this and will fix this soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2014 6:31 AM   in reply to SMeurer

I've commented on this bug in another thread and am still simply shocked that Adobe hasn't addressed this for what seems like Windows users(fyi, I'm on Win7 64, plenty of ram, latest version of PS CC 14.2.1, latest video card driver for Nvidia GT630).

The latest update looks to have fixed the pen tool issues for Mac users, from what I'm hearing from others. The very irritating pen tool lag isn't the only problem, as I'm also unable to press the + or - keys to preset the path operation mode, as in CS6. Does anyone know of a time frame to fix this, or better, a temporary fix/workaround? I've already done a total reinstall, trashed prefs, turned off and on lots of different options under Performace in preferences. To almost make matters worse, the pen tool will randomly work fine with no lag, then start lagging again(although the preset path operation mode never works.. considering using Autohotkey for that). I've tried to pay attention to any setting I may have changed when it suddenly works, but it truly does seem random. And oh yes, the pen tool lag goes away if I use my very outdated Wacom, but using a tablet is counterproductive for me.

Any reply/suggestion is truly appreciated, thanks guys and gals

-Andy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points