Skip navigation
mgraleigh
Currently Being Moderated

Moving a catalog from old computer to the new one.

Aug 31, 2013 5:25 PM

Tags: #catalog

The old computer (32 bit) has PSE 9 and the new one (64 bit) PSE 11. The Folders holding the photos will be on a data drive having the same letter as the old computer (both have separate dirves for data). So the adresses of the phots will be the same.

How do I move the catalog, which I think is on the "C" drive in the old computer, to the new computer and convert it to PSE format. Could I move a backup of the catalog to the new computer and then restore it to PSE 11? One problem is that I am not sure which one of the several "catalogs" on the old "C" drive is the right one. [None of those are backups since I always stored the backups on another drive]. How do I tell?

Any help will be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to mgraleigh

mgraleigh wrote:

The old computer (32 bit) has PSE 9 and the new one (64 bit) PSE 11.

Good. PSE11 is a 32 bits application and will be installed as such in the new computer.

The Folders holding the photos will be on a data drive having the same letter as the old computer (both have separate dirves for data). So the adresses of the phots will be the same.

If the data drives on both computers are internal (not a unique external drive alternatively plugged in) you are wrong. The drives are recognized not only by letter drive but also by serial number.

How do I move the catalog, which I think is on the "C" drive in the old computer, to the new computer and convert it to PSE format. Could I move a backup of the catalog to the new computer and then restore it to PSE 11? One problem is that I am not sure which one of the several "catalogs" on the old "C" drive is the right one. [None of those are backups since I always stored the backups on another drive]. How do I tell?

Since you have the backups on another drive (I suppose they were made from the Organizer, not from another external software), you should simply do a restore to 'custom location' in the new computer. In a first step, that will restore the pictures folder tree, in a second one it will convert the catalog.

If you want to move the catalog, it will be harder:

- locate the folder with your catalog. Each catalog is in its own folder named from the catalog title. You should copy the whole folder with its files and subfolders to the new catalog, preferably in a different folder tree than your pictures folder tree.

- In the Organizer, you should convert it from the catalog manager

Now, how to resolve the problem of the data drive different serial numbers ? Three different ways :

1 - Use the 'reconnect missing files' feature. Its now easier with PSE11

2 - In Windows, reassign the same serial number to the drive. Some reading from John R Ellis :

( http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/#_Detecting_Problems_with )

3 - use a sqlite database tool to manually change the serial number in the media_table of the new catalog.

You can see why using the backup / restore process is much simpler and safer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to mgraleigh

One problem is that I am not sure which one of the several "catalogs" on the old "C" drive is the right one. [None of those are backups since I always stored the backups on another drive]. How do I tell?

The catalog manager lets you select different catalogs.

Once you have selected a catalog, you see its location in the menu : Help / system info.

The folder containing the database : catalog.pse9db has the same name as the catalog.

You can also have an idea of the good folders by looking at their sizes and update dates.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to mgraleigh

Yes, you can use anyone of the three choices (not all three at the same time ).

The reconnect feature in PSE11 is much easier in that respect and can automatically reconnect folder trees.

I forgot to mention, the old computer has XP and the new on Win 7 Pro. Does that change anything?

The default location for 'Pictures' has been changed.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html#main_Special_notes_if_you_back_up_from_Windows_XP_an d_restore_to_Windows_Vista_or_7

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to mgraleigh

mgraleigh wrote:

Thank you Michael for your reply and the additional links. If I understand what you are suggesting, I can:

1. Move the backup catalog form PSE 9 on the old computer to the new computer.

2. Restore the backup catalog to PSE 11 on the new computer.

3. Use reconnect to change the file locations in the converted catalog.

I should have read more carefully because it seems that there is some confusion here about 'moving' and 'restoring'. I am assuming what you have written in the first post, that is :

"The Folders holding the photos will be on a data drive having the same letter as the old computer (both have separate dirves for data). "

Option 1 : I understand the catalog (the database folder) is moved or simply copied to the new computer. Then you'll have two steps more : using PSE11 to convert it to the new format, then reconnecting as stated in 3rd choice.

Option 2 : alternatively, you can use the backup and restore function in PSE which will take care of copying your files to the new drive and copying the catalog folder after converting it and updating the links to the new location. In that case you would not have to copy the picture folders yourself, that's made by the backup / restore process.

Option 3 : As stated in option 1, reconnecting is needed after the conversion.

That means you have really only 2 options : both are valid. Don't hesitate to ask more details!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points