Skip navigation
bdav7
Currently Being Moderated

Encore SD Project Changes size after DVD Burn?

Aug 31, 2013 6:40 PM

Tags: #problem #video #cs5.5 #encore #build #transcoding #building

Okay I've never had any issues with Encore CS5.5, but most of my experience is with HD video so I could be missing something simple...

I built a Premiere Pro project and Adobe Dynamic Link'ed it over to Encore, created the menus etc and everything is great. Check Project finds no issues, it Previews perfectly and looks like this:

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 4.17.27 PM.png
(screenshot taken directly from the Encore 'Preview' window)

Once on the DVD, I place the DVD into a DVD player and it comes out like this:

2013-08-26 12.25.28.jpg

(Picture of DVD loaded in DVD Player/TV, where for some reason it has cut down all sides)

I tested it with multiple TV's and DVD players, changes aspect ratios, doubles checked that both Premiere and Encore files are correct sizes....... Having not worked with SD videos in Encore before... is there something simple I'm missing? I have the client waiting for the DVD, but I'm completely at a loss.

The footage is 720x480, 29.97fps

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to bdav7

You cut off the part of the screenshot in Encore where we can tell whether you had the monitor set to "fit" etc.

SD does not scale from HD without thin black bars on the right or left. They show up in Encore preview. Use "scale to fill."

Did you use Encore "automatic" transcoding, or use another or custom preset?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:20 PM   in reply to bdav7

>The footage is 720x480, 29.97fps

As a test, export from Premiere Pro as (standard or widescreen, as appropriate) MPEG2-DVD and give the two (audio and video) files to Encore for authoring

I never use Dynamic Link, because I have read of the occasional "odd" problem

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to bdav7

I misinterpreted your having done HD before and now SD!

As you can see the zoom is set to 100%, and this is a frame of the Title/Intro, created directly in Encore,

Set it to "fit": what does it look like?

Is this a menu or your video? If a menu, is this cropping present in the video also?

I can not, of course, really see what is in your photo of the TV screen; the TV frame and the TV image edges are just black in my view.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to bdav7

Okay. This is, of course, not normal, and I don't see how Encore can do this "on its own." It is also mystifying that it is cropped on all 4 sides. The most likely PAR issues should only affect width cropping.

John's experiment may help to point to PR vs EN settings.

I would look to the project settings in Encore next, particularly if the export from PR works okay. You might post screenshots of the project settings. Is the source of the menus the EN library?

PAL or NTSC? and do the project settings match the source?

But the fact that the menu is also wrong points to EN.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to bdav7

bdav7,

You have placed the text *outside* the Title Safe area. All TV's cut the edges of the video (overscanning) and therefore all text must be placed within the Title Safe area. If you place the text outside the Title Safe area, you get the result you see. Most of the times placing text within the Action Safe area is enough.

You can enable and see Title Safe and Action Safe areas by using the Safe Margins button in the Program panel in Premiere Pro.

You can enable and see Title Safe and Action Safe areas by using the Show Safe Area button in the Menu panel in Encore.

You can enable and see Title Safe and Action Safe areas by using View > Show > Guides in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to bdav7

but I still don't understand why, on MULTIPLE TV/DVD players I get such an intense crop on all sides. I've burned many DVD's (granted all HD video) and never had this problem....

As i wrote, *all* televisions crop the picture and it is called overscanning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

On the screendumps you posted i can see just by glancing on them that the text are placed to close the the right edge and will thus be cropped by the television. Note that the space between the video and the bottom background is cropped out as well. No video is cropped by Encore, unless you scale down HD to SD. But then *only* the top and bottom will be cropped by default. The other DVD's must have had their text placed within the Title Safe area or the Action Safe Area. CRT televisions overscan more than LCD/plasma televisions.

When creating menus or video with text, always place the text within the Title Safe area. If you don't, the text will be cropped out. This is as important when it comes to video content, iow placing a man's/woman's head too far to the left/right/top/bottom will crop parts of the head out. (Such as the womans face in your screen dump that are almost gone from the television.)

Rock on from there!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to Averdahl

Averdahl is absolutely spot-on correct here - this is a DVD issue and it happens on all TV displays to a greater or a lesser degree.

It's not so common in HD, but with SD it happens all the time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points