Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

In illustrator, is there a way to reduce anchors points in a segment path without altering the path?

Aug 31, 2013 10:56 PM

Tags: #illustrator #anchor_points #segment_path

In illustrator, is there a way to reduce anchors points in a segment path without altering the path?

Is there a better and more efficient way to reduce anchors points than using the pen-minus tool?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to funn1bunn1

Astute's VectorScribe plug-in has a reduction tool that can retain path appearance. Naturally of course some shapes will always rrequire a lot of points, though.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to funn1bunn1

That's what the Simplify command is for. It tries to reduce the number of segments while you judge the results and adjust the parameters accordingly.

Of course, if any given curve were possible with just two anchors, then all paths could have just two anchors. So obviously, fewer segments is not always possible.

As with many other things, though, you need to realize this: Automatic functions have no human discernment whatsoever. That's just as true in the matter of optimizing paths as it is in auto-tracing. The program routine which tries to figure out which anchors can go and which anchors must stay has absolutely no idea of what the path is actually a drawing of. Only you know that. So the bottom line remains the same: Optimizing paths correctly should be done with deliberate discernment, not just left up to dumb automated routines.

Illustrators draw paths deliberately--one anchor at a time--for good reason.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to funn1bunn1

I tried the Simplify command, it would reduced anchors from the shape. Is there a way to make it reduce anchors in a path? This way, it would be more accurate.

I don't know what you're referring to as a "shape." Anything in Illustrator that has anchor points is a path.

I think if Adobe made a tool to simplify small segment path would be awesome.

Again, that's what the Simplify command does; it reduces the number of anchor points, thereby reducing the number of segments, thereby resulting in fewer longer segments to replace more smaller segments.

I think you need to work through the documentation about paths and anchor points.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points