Skip navigation
543danny
Currently Being Moderated

Reducing Crowd noise

Sep 1, 2013 8:01 AM

I work with a lot of audio that has background crowd noise mainly sporting events. Is there a way to drop the crowd noise without losing quality from the commentary?

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 1, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to 543danny

Only recording it properly in the first place, I'm afraid. Crowd noise varies considerably, so there's no algorithm for being able to remove it. Audition's NR works fine with constant noises, but crowds will generally defeat the adaptive system rather well...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to 543danny

543danny wrote:

Is there a way to drop the crowd noise without losing quality from the commentary?

Best way is to use the right mic, in the right place. Broadcasters routinely do this from hyper noisy environments like the Super Bowl. They'll typically use a mic like the Sennheiser MD46, within 10 cm of the speaker's mouth. I've seen / heard broadcast crews do this at motor sports events too. All with quite good clarity and quite good supression of background noise. Works in all kinds of sports events, even basketball, and I've never heard anything quite as loud as 22000 berserk fans in an enclosed basketball arena.

But fix crowd noise in post? No way that I've ever heard of.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 1, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

Probably the ultimate noise-cancelling commentator mic is the Coles 4104. This is all it was designed to do, and it does it brilliantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I worked for many years in TV and we owned a ton of those Coles 4104s, used for everything from sports commentary to when we had to record news voice overs in a hotel room with a war raging outside.  We sent at least one out with every mobile edit or feed pack we had and even kept a couple around at base for use in edit suites for use at times when the voice booths were overloaded.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:03 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

But for the non-professional...I am reviewing tutorials recorded (by others and posted online) at Siggraph this August where the crowd noise is immense. I would just like to use Audition CC to somewhat reduce the crowd. Not looking for a miracle, but some relief is all I need. Unfortunately, the speaker talks constantly and I can't find a section of just crowd only to set the Sound Remover (process) and when I slide the different choices in Heavy Noise Reduction presets, it starts making the speaker's voice mechanical and tinny. Any suggestions for settings would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I am an otherwise happy CC subscriber, but I mostly live in After Effect, Photoshop and Illustrator. Working with sound is new to me.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2013 2:14 AM   in reply to Lawrence46

Lawrence46 wrote:

Any suggestions for settings would be appreciated.

Please re-read the second post in the thread. I'm sorry, but there really is no mechanism for removing crowd noise from a recording, especially if it's mono. Finding just a section of crowd noise won't help at all - you are effectively trying to remove the sound of a load of people talking from a single person talking. The only way you can ever reduce this slightly is if you have a stereo recording, so that the crowd is mainly in the stereo field, and the speaker you want is fixed in one place (prefferably central). Then you can effectively remove some of the stereo crowd using the Center Channel Extractor, but generally not much. But that really is it, I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points