Skip navigation
Brian O\'Neil
Currently Being Moderated

can you capture video from the internet, using premiere pro cc?

Sep 1, 2013 9:49 AM

trying to capture video from the internet, using premiere pro cc, is that possible?

also - it keeps saying "video capture offline" - any solutions for that?

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Sep 1, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

trying to capture video from the internet, using premiere pro cc, is that possible?

No.

also - it keeps saying "video capture offline" - any solutions for that?

You need to connect a deck via IEEE1394 for capture.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Sep 1, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Sep 1, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

Brian O\'Neil wrote:

No.

You can capture from a deck connected via IEEE1394.

You might be able to download a video, then import.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

If you're looking to capture something from the internet try something like

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

The only thing Premiere can capture is footage from (dv/hdv) tape/deck.

If you want to capture something from the internet use a screencapture program, like Camtasia (one of the best).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

For Mac users, Telestream ScreenFlow is excellent.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

It depends on what you mean by "Internet". Premiere Pro won't do it but there are programs designed to download from YouTube, for example. When necessary, I use YouTube Downloader HD

If you mean from other web sites, I know there are some programs that do that but I have no personal experience with them. I suppose you might be able to use the free program CamStudio-Recorder. I use it for tutorials but I suppose you could use it for other things.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Scraping videos from an online streaming service such as YouTube is a breach of the site terms and conditions and in most cases a copyright offense.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

Not only can Premiere Pro not capture from the Internet, but such videos are not very well suited to editing.  For this reason, and for the legal reasons Dave points out, you should be asking the video's publisher for a more editing friendly format.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I am going to go out on a limb and say that while it may be against the YouTube terms of service to download or scrape a video off of their service, there are times that I really don't care since it is for my personal use. Providing myself or my wife with entertainment that she can watch or listen to on her smartphone while on an airplane, or in a car traveling down the road, just doesn't bother my moral compass. Doesn't make it twitch in the least.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps I shouldn't do it. Tough. I do, and will continue to do so until the Google police come knocking on my door.

This is pretty much the same argument that they tried to kill the VCR with. The simple act of time shifting was something that was considered wrong, and illegal, until people came to their senses.

As for the editing capability, you might be surprised at the ways it is possible to download video that works just fine for what I use it for. Premiere Pro has no problems allowing me to edit out the parts I don't like, or just aren't funny, and the quality really doesn't suffer much at all.

Now, with the exception of something I did for my two year old Great Niece, I have never used any video that I have downloaded for anything except a tutorial, or in her case, a Sesame Street song I used when I shot video of me reading her the Sesame Street book that I purchased.

Would it be wrong to post downloaded video, intact or edited, for public consumption? Sure it would. No question about it.

But please do not assume that everyone downloading video from the Internet is doing so for nefarious purposes, and I promise not to assume everyone is a perfect angel and is following all the rules.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Nefarious or not, I guess the objection is helping people do something questionable, even if it is for personal use only.  If they figure it out on their own, that's one thing.  But I don't feel it's right to help them, and will always recommend a 'less-questionable' method for getting the job done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

>download pictures and videos  of things like pizza slices from local restaurants

Is there some reason you can't just to to the owner(s) and ask for the files?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

It will be a lot better to set up an FTP site, or some cloud based storage site, and just have them upload the original material.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

And, the quality should be much, much better with the original files, or at least files prior to YouTube, etc. Transcoding.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

It wasn't a 'demand' so much as it was a question.  Even with the content owner's permission, what you want to do is not the best method from a technical viewpoint.  That's why it was suggested you get the original media from the content owner.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

Brian,

Apparently you hit a raw nerve for some of these folks. I can tell you that I have dealt with all of the people in this thread for a long time, other than you and "videethis as well" and they are an extremely helpful bunch.

Jim is right that the quality of a screen scrape is not going to be nearly as good as working with the original material if you can get your hands on it. If this is just an exercise in showing the customer a quick collection of images that might work for them, then I suppose a screen scrape isn't a bad way to go.

But getting your hands on the original images from the sponsors is the best way to go if at all possible.

On the other hand, if it suits your purpose, give it a shot. Just not in Premiere Pro.

Try CamStudio-Recorder, and if you do, you can record to the Lagarith codec which is lossless and will avoid any additional loss over the loss you will already suffer from scraping it. The files are large, but extremely easy to work with.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to Brian O\'Neil

Brian,

You have completely lost me on this.

Other than mentioning that the quality would be higher, if one could get the material, before being recoded for YouTube, I cannot imagine how you think that I went against any of the Forum Guidelines. I have the full document, that you excerpted from, but perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me where I went wrong.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points