Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Play option after change position of cursor

Sep 1, 2013 10:57 AM

I would like to ask for something. This function is VERY IMPORTANT to me.

When we push "PLAY" and then we click to another section of our clip, a clip is stop playing immediately.

I don't want this. I want when I click "PLAY" button and then I start to click to forward/backward section of my clip, clip is still playing.

Can we change it? It is VERY IMPORTANT. Because it makes my work very slow....

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6748/cgj2.png

This behaviour is in EVERY menu, every windows, every workflow in Premiere Pro.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

That is normal behaviour in Premiere and cannot be changed (fortunately).

You can edit during playback and do all sorts of things but once you hit the playhead playback stops.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

If you feel strongly enough about this to enter a feature request, here is the place to do that https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

That is the best way to be sure the Adobe team sees the request.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

One finger on the mouse button...one finger on the space bar.

How hard  is that? (assuming the editor has two hands of course)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

It takes about 1/4 second to hit that spacebar to start playback once you move the CTI.  Hardly a major impediment.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

Options:

a) Make a feature Request. (You are the second person who has asked for this)

b) Use the scroll bar or FFWD / FRWD to locate points of interest

c)Use Vegas

BTW - What do you do in VEGAS if you actually want it to stop where you click randomly in the  Scroll Bar?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

Why have you switched to Premiere?

Here's some good reference links:

FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0

Adobe Premiere Pro Help and tutorials

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html

The definitive tutorial list in message #3 courtesy John T Smith:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

Sony Vegas is smarter software than Premiere Pro.

Sure ...but Premiere has smarter users because they just drag the scroll bar to find points of interest in the video instead of a click and hope at some random place.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

This issue was discussed in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5198924#5198924

The ability to play in to out, skipping over the middle, without having to press that space bar, regardless of how long it may take to do so would be beneficial to some workflows. In my case, it would make creating subclips a little faster and easier if I had the option to click while pressing a modifier key and have the playback resume automatically from the point of the click.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

Why did you said "fortunately can't be changed"?!

Because it would be incredibly annoying for the CTI to continue moving after we manually put it where we want it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Because it would be incredibly annoying for the CTI to continue moving after we manually put it where we want it.

That is why I want to have a modifier key to do what we want. It won't get in anyone else's way but it would help with the subclip workflow. Allow me to Alt-Click (Command-Click on a Mac).

All I want is an easy way to make sure I like the in and out points I have chosen. I don't need the middle section. But asking for a command that plays the first 5 seconds and the last 5 seconds might be good for me, but too long or too short for someone else. And it might vary by clip.

So instead, we ask for a way to quickly and smoothly jump ahead and keep playing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

But you already have a 'modifier key', the spacebar.

How is it any different if you press a key before clicking or after?  It's still one click and one keypress.

The only way to make this process more efficient is to eliminate the keypress, which means it always behaves that way.  That's just a bad idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I don't agree. I believe that using the modifier key with the click would smooth out the experience.

Click and spacebar is not the same visually. The experience is different than Alt-Click would be. Think of it as a visual/temporal combination equivalent to an Ease In.

I can understand if you don't want to use it, but I believe that it would be valuable to enough people that it is worth the engineering effort. An effort that I doubt would be too much trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Then I guess my objection becomes Adobe spending limited resources trying to eliminate that millisecond's worth of stopping with the current method.

There are far better features to add, in my view.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

There are far better features to add, in my view.

That is your view and you are certainly entitled to it.

I just happen to disagree. I worked on a very long video clip recently, creating subclips, and it just seemed to me that there should be an easier way.

Adobe will do what they do. If I can influence them in my direction, then great! If I can't, well, I tried.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

I am VERY surprised that there is no that option by default.

Well, let me just say that Premiere Pro only recently made subclips a lot better and easier to create. So leaving out an option primarily used with subclips is not a shock. I am hopeful that they will add it, in part because I think the engineers who actually use the software themselves want it too. I hope that counts for something. It might not, but I still hope it does.

I can see that there may possibly be an advantage to having this feature in the sequence as well, but I don't really need it for that myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Ex Vegas users will probably file a feature request for this.

I am guessing most Premiere users probably not.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann,

You are probably correct on that.

I would never have realized I wanted it until the last project I did with really long clips being cut up into subclips. It just felt a little awkward. I wasn't sure what it was for a while and then I realized that my workflow was being inhibited by the lack of a feature. I looked for another workflow but could not find a better way to just see the beginning and then the end of a short clip, adust a little, repeat, then make the subclip and move on to the next area of the clip.

I thought it might be because I was finally doing it correctly instead of cutting everything on the timeline like I used to. I really thought that there was something I could change. Something I was missing. No luck.

I have searched the various video tutorials on subclips and just couldn't find what I was looking for.

This is certainly a minor issue, but one I think Adobe should consider.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I don't agree. I believe that using the modifier key with the click would smooth out the experience.

Hey Steven.

Please suggest the Modifier Key that you would prefer for this "rolling play" function .

I assume you want it to work with the the Space Bar so thats a given...

whats the other one?

Of course you need to consider that the editor probably already has one hand on the mouse as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to shooternz

Please suggest the Modifier Key that you would prefer for this "rolling play" function .

I assume you want it to work with the the Space Bar so thats a given...

whats the other one?

Craig,

That isn't what I had in mind. The spacebar would work as normal. Right now I click on the CTI in the Source monitor and then I have to hit the spacebar. What I want to do is Alt-Click or Ctrl-Click (I prefer Ctrl because I can find it easier by touch) on the Source monitor's timeline and it resumes playing from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I just use Click-Spacebar for that in any of the Monitors or Timeline.

(I prefer Ctrl because I can find it easier by touch)

That great big space bar is real easy to find by touch and it also has the huge advantage..its already associated with playback (start/stop) in video and audio apps

Cant see any smoother experience or advantage in your preference for a modifier.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to shooternz

OK, let's try this again. Please follow these steps and tell me if the space bar works for you.

1. Set in and out points on a 30 minute clip in the Source monitor, about a minute apart.

2. Press the "Play In to Out" button.

3. After seeing that your in point is where you want it you skip the CTI over to something close to the end point with a mouse click. After all, you don't need to see the whole thing. The video stops playing so you hit the space bar.

Wait a minute. It keeps going past the out point! What the HE double hockey sticks is THAT all about?

Oh, wait, if you had a modifier for your mouse click it would obey the original in-to-out command, wouldn't it?

Ah! All I have to do is press Ctrl-Space. But that means I have to click on the timeline, then hit Ctrl-Space. It would be a heck of a lot easier to hit Ctrl-Click now wouldn't it?

Does that help explain it? All I want to do is to Ctrl-Click the CTI over to where I want it to start again and have it play. I don't consider that unreasonable. Why should I have to click, then hit a keyboard combination when a modifier for the click would be faster?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 3:04 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I am trying to follow what you want.

Dont these shortcuts do that for you?

spacebar ksc.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann,

As I said, I can hit Ctrl-Space after the click, but that would cause the video to stop playing instead of causing it to merely jump ahead

I want to replace the click and the Ctrl-Space with a simple Ctrl-Click.

That's all. It saves a step and would be a smoother movement.

I am not the only one who wants it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I'm with Steven on this one. It's a very convenient feature in Audition. I use it all the time there, and would like to see it in Pr for adjusting background audio, music and sfx to fit the video.

About a month ago I posted a screen cap of how it works in Au:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5547219#5547219

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

Jerry, that is exactly what I want, assuming it would continue playing to the last point it was directed to play to. In my case, the out point. But if someone has not specified the out point, it would continue to the end.

I don't see any way that a click alone would be a good idea, as it would wreak havoc upon the vast majority of users. But since I don't edit with a drink in my hand, a Ctrl-Click would be the best for me personally. (The linked thread mentioned drinking while editing.)

In fact, I don't see why we can't use modifiers with the click for just about anything we want. And I saw a request recently for double letter shortcuts that would be pretty cool also.

So maybe all I am really asking for is an expanded capability of keyboard shortcuts to be modified by the individual user. Add Click to my choices. And if Adobe could allow the user to specify the time between keystrokes to account for double letters, then rr or tt could be used instead of using modifiers. Then perhaps we could learn to edit with a drink in one hand after all. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to a7491@drdrb.com

I have exact the same problem as you do after I had to switch from Vegas to Premiere Pro.

Stoping playback after moving your coursor in other section of the timeline is incomprehensible for me.

I see that manu users, who never worked on Vegas are not able to understand it.

I agree that working in Vegas is faster, better and pleasurably :-))

Regards,

Mariusz

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

One finger on the mouse button...one finger on the space bar.

How hard  is that? (assuming the editor has two hands of course)

It seems you have never worked on Vegas. For those who are moving from Vegas to Premier Pro this function is very important.

Continuous play function even after changing cursor position on timeline works on Vegas perfectly and make a work flow smooth and incredible fast.

This is big pain for ex-Vegas users :-(

Regards

Mariusz

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to wonski333

Why are you an "ex user of Vegas" ?

Just asking.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

Why are you an "ex user of Vegas" ?

Just asking.

This is very good question :-) Just briefly...but it is not just about Premier Pro.

After purchasing the Creative Cloud membership I moved from Gimp to PhotoShop, Vegas -> PP, Audacity -> Audition.

Previously I was using Sony Vegas Studio version (non-professional), but after fee months (of using PremierPro) I am thinking of moving back to Vegas Pro version:-)

Second reason: I wanted to learn After Effect (together with Premier Pro) and most of my associates are using Premier Pro and After Effect - I wanted to get projects interoperability.

Regards,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points