Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Override Master Page Item creates duplicate

Sep 2, 2013 12:56 AM

I've got a weird problem in Indesign CS6. I've placed a graphic box on the master page with a thick white stroke and a drop shadow effect. Now on page one I want to override that master page item so I can place an image inside it. So I clicked on it with command-shift. Found out however that when I drag the nog overriden box or resize it, the original master page item is still present beneath it in it's locked position.When I delete the overriden box I can override that original master page item again and again and again. Somehow it doesn't override that image box, but it creates a copy of the master page item and places that on top.

Funny thing is that it works normally when I edit the image box slightly. For example by making the box narrower. Anything wider than 79 cm e.g. makes it create those duplicates. Or by removing the drop shadow effect. Or by removing the -3 rotation. Or by positioning the box else where. Then it behaves normally: upon clicking on it with command-shift, the master page item is overriden and I can rearrange it without having created a copy.

Like it is now, with that effect, that position, that effect, that size.... when I click on it with command-shift it always creates a copy of the master page item and places that on top with the not-overriden version still present beneath it like any other locked master page items.

Is this a bug?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 1:17 AM   in reply to jiggy1965

Trying on a new document and see if this happen or not.

Also check:Troubleshooting Adobe Applications

http://www.printingforless.com/blog/graphic-design/troubleshooting-ado be-applications-2

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to jiggy1965

I was able to "fix" it by moving it on the master page, then moving it back, but perhaps I didn't reposition it in exactly the same spot.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And when I tried to repeat the procedure putting it back in the same place it failed, nor was nudging it a point enough to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

2 points to the left does, it though. Very odd.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think this is related to Number & Section Option with Master A, because the page start numbering at 2.

When i switch to start page numbering at: 1 , i get this result

start page.jpg

The work around to solve this problem:

1- Insert a new master page base on A-Master.

2- Cut the Frame and paste in place on B-Master.

3- Select the right page of B-Master then delete.

4- Apply B-Master to page 2.

the link file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72277778/testfile.indd

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

Interseting idea, but I don't think it's the whole answer. When I switch to start numbering at 1 I don't see the frame on the pasteboard as you did in your screen shot, and the problem persists on page 2.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The screen shot it's from the Coaflsh file before i added the new master page.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

Salah Fadlabi wrote:

The screen shot it's from the Coaflsh file before i added the new master page.

And my testing was also with the original, and I did not see the object on the pasteboard. Did you put it there?

The point here, though, is this is abberant behavior. There should not be a need for a second master.

@ Colafalsh, Did you try rebuilding this file from scratch and positioning the object inthe same spot? I don't have time to do it this morning myself, but I wonder if the master page itself is corrupt in some way. Export to .idml did not help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

That did not happen here, but I also reset to automatic numbering.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points