Skip navigation
adamcig
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS3 slowdown, upgrade to 5 or 6 on Mac?

Sep 2, 2013 10:20 AM

Tags: #problem #adobe #mac #crash

My OSX is 10.8.4 and I use PSE10 for mac with Bridge CS3. Recently, I have observed a major slowdown in bridge and some annoying interactions with PSE10. I have about 17,000 jpegs (of insects) organized in hierarchical folders, i.e., taxonomically. I have 4 GB of memory, recently installed.

1) It now takes several seconds to scroll down through the images in any folder.

2) Often, when I shift-click to highlight files (to move or rename them), PSE10 opens the files when I don't want it to. Very annoying. I have taken to waiting for a full second or two before I do anything.

3) Bridge also crashes frequently, at least once a day, and I use it every day.

OK, would upgrading to Bridge CS5 or 6 fix this problem? Or is this a system thing? And would Bridge CS5 or 6 work with PSE10?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to adamcig

CS3 Bridge was probably the worse version ever.  But you would have to buy a new copy of CS6 at $700, and not sure what you are describing is a problem with Bridge or your workflow.  You would also probably need a new computer as it will be 64 bit and needs min. of 8 gig of RAM with a reasonable video card.

How many files do you have in a folder?  I try to stay less than 2500 and would not recommend more than 5K.  If they are large files I would use less.

Also, check your cache disk file size.  Unless you purge it occassionally, or at least compact it, it can grow to huge size.

All HD's should have 10 -20% free space.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to adamcig

I agree with Curt, 

in addition to his post:

OK, would upgrading to Bridge CS5 or 6 fix this problem? Or is this a system thing? And would Bridge CS5 or 6 work with PSE10?

Bridge is designed for use with Creative Suite applications an PS elements is not part of the Creative Suite or the Creative Cloud. It might be possible to use Bridge with PSE for opening files in but the advantage of using start up scripts for Photoshop is not available for PS elements.

I believe PSE 8 for Mac is the only version of PSE that came with Bridge (version 3, part of CS4) so that might be a route for you to follow as the cheapest option.

Also every new version of Bridge needs a new cache for all the files. (not a big deal but it takes some time with all your files. You have to select the main folder and use 'show items from subfolders' and then let it run overnight to recache again.

Can you specify what computer you are using. While the minimum required RAM is still advertised as 1 GB you certainly will gain from putting as much RAM as possible in your machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to adamcig

In your first post you state "Recently, I have observed a major slowdown in bridge and some annoying interactions with PSE10".  So what changed?  Slowdowns are usually caused by large files or interactions with other programs.  Anti-virus is always a suspect as an update may by checking for something in your file that is "suspecious". 

Are you running other programs you did not before?  If you only have 4 gig of RAM it does not give you a lot of room, but with CS3 it is probably better then CS6.  Seems like each new version takes more horsepower.

Bridge is more processor dependant than memory dependant.

Some have found ACDC to work well for them.  Before moving might check pros and cons.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points