Skip navigation
Brklynboy2
Currently Being Moderated

Importing from Lightroom

Sep 2, 2013 4:46 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11

Hi,

Can I import photos and film clips I have edited in Adobe Lightroom into Premiere 11?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to Brklynboy2

Welcome to the forum.

For the Still Images, the anwser should be yes, though you might want to check that none are CMYK, or 16-bit. They need to be in RGB 8-bit.

For the Video, that will depend. Can you give us the full details of those Video files please?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to Brklynboy2

Brklynboy2

I think that your question would be better placed in the Adobe Lightroom Forum or Photoshop Elements Forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

While I frequented another forum (no longer do) I looked at Lightroom 4.1 tryout and the Slideshow Module for that product. I did not buy the product nor do I use it so I am not sure what has happened to it since 4.1. Read the following post where I described my findings with regard to

video transfer from Lightroom 4.1 tryout to Premiere Elements

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72137

(see especially around post 6 in that thread).

Unless things have changed drastically since Lightroom 4.1, my suggestion would be to place the videos at hard drive save location and use Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets to get them to the Premiere Elements Timeline with the correct project preset.

The Lightroom and Photoshop Elements people at the appropriate forum here should be able to fill you in on the latest with regard to these programs and your workflow goals.

If you have any questions about the thread that I referenced, please ask me at this forum.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I interpreted the question differently than you did.

I saw that as a how to for direct transfer of photo and video from Lightroom into Premiere Elements which most want to do and cannot do

(at least up to Lightroom 4.1 when I looked at it).

Definitely need more details from Brjkynbox2 to sort this out on the can and cannot do for photos and videos in a direct transfer.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

You are correct. As there is no version of ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), between LightRoom and PrE, I assumed that the OP was talking about Importing material, that had been through LR, into PrE.

The closest that PrE has to full ADL is the interface with the same version of PsE.

Maybe some additional clarification from the OP, will be in order.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

If this question goes in the direction that I suspect, can you transfer this to Lightroom or Photoshop Elements Forum for follow up on preferred workflows in either of these non Premiere Elements programs?

If this is the case, I believe that the question goes to a more fundamental use of Lightroom.

As you can see from the link  proved, I have tried to sort out the Lightroom - Premiere Elements situation.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

That would be possible, but as the OP has asked about PrE 11, I will wait for more input. If the question is about LR, or PsE, and NOT PrE, then it should be moved. If, however, the OP does wish to try to interface with PrE, then I think that this is the right forum - though there is no direct interface - just a Save/Save_As in LR, and then an Import into PrE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks.

It does not look like the options for photo and video transfer from Lightroom to Premiere Elements have changed at all since I looked at the Lightroom 4.1 tryout as detailed in the link provided.

Do you use Lightroom? I have not used it beyond the tryout that I mentioned and then only for investigational purposes.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:54 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I do not. I did the beta testing, when it was about to be released, but as I had been using Ps for years, saw no reason to consider it. Though it has improved greatly, over the years, I still see no reason for it in my workflow.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help there.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to Brklynboy2

Brklynboy2

Thanks for the follow up.

Lightroom 5 already?

In the near future I may take another look into the video opportunities in the Lightroom as it relates to Premiere Elements worksflows. For now, I suspect the situation has not changed from versions 4.1 to 5.

Success with your projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to Brklynboy2

Brklynboy2

Thanks for the follow up.

Interesting "..burn a DVD directly in Lightroom". Which one of the modules supports that? That must be new since 4.1. I will check it out.

Continuing success with your Elements projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to Brklynboy2

Brklynboy2

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

This thread is two months old, but was refered to in another thread.  The answer here seems incomplete.

IMO Lightroom is exceptional for managing video clips.  The key to using it with PrE, or any other NLE, is understanding the Export Video as Original that showed up in LR4 and remains in LR5.

I wrote an explaination of the process in the Lightroom Beginners forum here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5803779#5803779

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to Brklynboy2

Brklynboy2

A review of this thread has lead me to believe that it is complete in spite of the fact that I have worked with Lightroom 4.1 and not 5 or any other version of Lightroom. I am led to believe that Lightroom Export from the Library is the same for 4.1 and 5. If this is so, then what I referenced you to is the most detailed complete account. For your convenience I quote from post 6 of the link provided

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72137

As far as I have figured out:

a. Lightroom 4.1 Slideshow Module Export Video has no export for burn to disc DVD or Blu-ray; it only has export of the photo slideshow as a .mp4 file to the computer hard drive. And, there does not seem to be a way to save directly the Slideshow Module slideshow to the Library Module of Lightroom 4.1 where there exists an opportunity for export of a video file (presumed from your computer hard drive storage). Please check out this article that I came across tonight.

http://laurashoe.com/2011/12/14/savi...oom-slideshow/

Until proven otherwise, if your destination is DVD-VIDEO or Blu-ray on disc, think about using Premiere Elements' Get Media/Files and Folders to import the Slideshow Module .mp4 from the hard drive save location into Premiere Elements with the appropriate project preset.

That Library is a different "ballpark". I find that I can import photos and videos to that module and export possibilities are:

a. Email

b. Hard Drive

c. CD/DVD

I did not bother with Email yet.

Hard Drive...you can set up the Export dialog so that the file in the Library exports to a folder on the hard drive, followed by an automatic opening of the Photoshop Elements Organizer (target is the Photoshop Elements Organizer.exe). No point in setting that up for Photoshop Elements Full Editor opening since the Full Editor does not support video, except when you use the Full Editor, File Menu, Import, Frame from Video. And, if instead you set for Premiere Elements to open, then you get half the job done....the video does not import into the opened Premiere Elements project the way it did when the set was for Photoshop Elements Organizer to open. You are left staring at the Premiere Elements workspace with no media showing.

Now back to the Photoshop Elements Organizer pitfalls....yes, a video file (in my test, an MPEG4.avi file from the Library module will automatically show up in the Organizer when the Library Module Export dialog is set for that, but its Photoshop Elements Organizer thumbnail is messed up. Nonetheless, you can double click that thumbnail and get a great playback of that video in the Elements Organizer monitor (in spite of no first frame beforehand view, press play button). So, if it is just a video file in Lightroom 4.1 Library (not Slideshow from the Slideshow Module) and you want to get that into Premiere Elements, you might want to explore:

Video in Lightroom Library

Export, with a setting to the Photoshop Elements Organizer (PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe)

And, in the Elements Organizer, right click the messed up thumbnail, and select Edit with Premiere Elements.

Works fine.

As for the CD/DVD choice, that is a "data disc" type, not DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc. If you have an MPEG4.avi, like me, you will be end up with the MPEG4.avi file burned to the DVD disc.

Whatever your personal choice of workflow for a Lightroom and Premiere Elements scheme, I think that the Lightroom Forum people will give you a broader scope and validation of proposed workflow attempting to use these two programs.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points